Flea/Tick meds and Worming pills - Which do you all use?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flea/Tick meds and Worming pills - Which do you all use?

SilverBullet is offline Senior Member

DefaultFlea/Tick meds and Worming pills - Which do you all use?

Just wondering what everyone else uses as far as Flea/Tick drops and Worming pills? I have been using K9 Advantix II for Chief every month mainly because its the only one that I know of that not only kills flea/ticks/mosquitos, but also Repels them which is important. About a year ago I had found a tick inside Chiefs ear which was engorged. I was able to remove it with tweezers and luckily got the head of the tick too. At that time I had been using Advantage II, so that is when I did some research and switched to K9 Advantix. As far as worming pills, I was using HeartGard but the Vet said he had whipworms and suggested I start using Interceptor and I have been using that each month ever since.

What flea/tick meds and worming pills do you guys use and are you anal about using them each month as I am? I just wish they didnt cost so much, but for peace of mind and Chief's health it is worth it
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I use Frontline Plus & Interceptor for our girls. Abby is 6 1/2 & just last week tested negative for heartworm & lyme. Kate is 2 1/2 and tested positive for Lyme last year. She was on doxycycline for 30 days & her last recheck she was negative for heartworm & lyme. Because they hunt & we run them in hunt test, we have them tested every six months for both lyme & heartworm. We give the Interceptor year round, & only use Frontline in the summer months. But due to the warm weather this year, we started them on Frontline in March.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

I use Frontline Plus and I think the heartworm medication is Ivanguard. Tick checks for Layla are a standard thing for us since she is in the woods so often though. No big deal. Layla knows the drill well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I don't use flea or tick topicals. I have not had a flea problem in more than 25 years and the occasional tick I deal with. I use Interceptor for heartworm protection.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

Have not used flea and tick on my pup yet. He has had 2 doses of the heartworm prevention and they were 2 different kinds. I am buying them 1 month at a time since his weight changes so quickly right now. The first one was heartguard and the last one was Ivenhart Max...not sure but the ivenhart may be a generic ....

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

I use Heartguard and Frontline Plus. I'd tried switching to Natural Defense for the fleas and ticks. The second month, I noticed he had ticks on him so it's back to Frontline again. That's always worked for him. We also have two indoor cats so we do need to keep the fleas under control.

sclabmom is offline Member

I was using Trifexis and liked it however I found out it doesn't cover tapeworms,nor ticks. So I'm buying Revolution which I have used prior to Trifexis. I like Revolution and its fairly safe because you can even use it on some small animals like guinea pigs. I hate topicals but the winter was so warm that the fleas started back in early March and I'm seeing ticks on the dogs when they've just been in the yard because our property is in the woods. Revolution doesn't do ticks which I hate. The vet said frontline in this area is useless,he says its because the new fleas have a resistance to it. So we may look for something else.
    Last edited by sclabmom; 05-30-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I use Revolution for heartworm & fleas - more concerned about the heartworm. And just this year I'll be giving him Advantix for ticks since we'll be in an area that is bad for them this summer. Not sure I like the idea of it being a topical that doesn't "absorb" like the Revolution, but I'd rather he be protected if in a tick environment.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I don't use flea or tick topicals. I have not had a flea problem in more than 25 years and the occasional tick I deal with. I use Interceptor for heartworm protection.
    Same here. Although with the production stoppage (or whatever you want to call it), I switched to Iverhart Plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilprincee View Post
    ...The first one was heartguard and the last one was Ivenhart Max...not sure but the ivenhart may be a generic ....
    Yes, Iverhart is the generic form of HeartGuard. Having a dog who can't have beef, I like the fact that Iverhart is pork flavored, not beef.

sclabmom is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    I use Revolution for heartworm & fleas - more concerned about the heartworm. And just this year I'll be giving him Advantix for ticks since we'll be in an area that is bad for them this summer. Not sure I like the idea of it being a topical that doesn't "absorb" like the Revolution, but I'd rather he be protected if in a tick environment.
    Are you going to be using both products??? Or did you mean you're switching to Advantix?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast