Chief's diet

Thread: Chief's diet

SilverBullet is offline Senior Member

DefaultChief's diet

Just wanted to share with everyone, what I feed Chief for breakfast and dinner. The breeder had him on Purina Puppy Chow, so I continued that until he was about 8-10 months old. Then I switched to Purina Pro Plan (Lamb/Rice shredded blend) and he loves that, so I never bothered to change it. But what I do in the AM for breakfast is mix in a little packet of the "Dole Fruit Bites" (Apple nuggets) which are like freeze-dried 100% apple bites. Then, in the evening for dinner, I mix in some canned vegetables, such as green beans, peas or peas/carrotts. I know vegetables are good for him and it helps with him not getting tired of just dry kibble. I try and give him 2 cups per serving, which is 4 total cups per day. He weighs 99 lbs but recently was 101, so the last month he lost 2 lbs. I realize others probably feed meats or chicken or even canned food. Just thought Id share Chief's diet. Its been working for 2 years now and hes 100% healthy (aside from technically being a tiny bit overweight), but me, personally, I dont see it. Hes healthy, so thats the important thing and he always eats his meals and is not finicky or moody, thank God.
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Just so you know - a lot of people don't feed the "shreds" due to the soy content. Soy is chemically similar to estrogen and also is almost always a genetically modified crop.

There are better choices within the Pro Plan line, including the selects.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Just because you don't think he's overweight, doesn't mean he isn't.
    Leaner is better for these guys, especially for their joint health!

So...where are the pictures of Chief?
    We'd love to see him!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labgirl12 is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
    Just wanted to share with everyone, what I feed Chief for breakfast and dinner. The breeder had him on Purina Puppy Chow, so I continued that until he was about 8-10 months old. Then I switched to Purina Pro Plan (Lamb/Rice shredded blend) and he loves that, so I never bothered to change it. But what I do in the AM for breakfast is mix in a little packet of the "Dole Fruit Bites" (Apple nuggets) which are like freeze-dried 100% apple bites. Then, in the evening for dinner, I mix in some canned vegetables, such as green beans, peas or peas/carrotts. I know vegetables are good for him and it helps with him not getting tired of just dry kibble. I try and give him 2 cups per serving, which is 4 total cups per day. He weighs 99 lbs but recently was 101, so the last month he lost 2 lbs. I realize others probably feed meats or chicken or even canned food. Just thought Id share Chief's diet. Its been working for 2 years now and hes 100% healthy (aside from technically being a tiny bit overweight), but me, personally, I dont see it. Hes healthy, so thats the important thing and he always eats his meals and is not finicky or moody, thank God.

Cool story OP. Don't let these fools tell you how your dog should look. God bless you.

Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    Just because you don't think he's overweight, doesn't mean he isn't.
    Leaner is better for these guys, especially for their joint health!

So...where are the pictures of Chief?
    We'd love to see him!!
    Don't poop on this person's thread. Just because your dog doesn't look as good as his. Oh what you don't see the pics he posted? You blind?

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

We give fruit for treats, and often mix veggies with Sophie's kibble. She loves green beans and carrots! We just weighed her an was surprized to find out she's 85 lbs! She's a lean field bred girl, and sure doesn't look it!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Quote Originally Posted by labgirl12 View Post
    Don't poop on this person's thread. Just because your dog doesn't look as good as his. Oh what you don't see the pics he posted? You blind?
    You are way out of line and WAY out of your league.

Ok? I am trying to be civil here.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Like most little children who think that the grown ups will automatically get over the child's bad behavior, because, after all, they are just little children - you seem to think that your vague, limp apology and telling us you are trying to be civil is all you need to do to be accepted?

Nope - not even close.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

No deal.