Holy Crap I think my dog had a seizure!!!

Thread: Holy Crap I think my dog had a seizure!!!

0lli3NDi3SE1 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHoly Crap I think my dog had a seizure!!!

Yesterday morning my 3 yr old Lab diesel was acting funny- just kind of sitting there with a twilight zone expression on his face. He tried to get up and started to violently thrash about and do log rolls. I quickly threw myself on top of him as he was trapped between the bed and dresser- i'm all cut up from flailing paws- and got him to his side and petted him til it was over. he yacked a lil yellow wad of flem wagged his tail and it was over. this was first thing in the morning. He's had others this is maybe #4 or 5 in his life. i keep him well hydrated being an active dog. i think the last one he had was during a ball retrieval game. In looking these up it says labs are prone to seizures? and there is a specific term for labs that get seizures for being too excited??? WTH? what lab isn't excited of the prospects of ball or frisbee throwing..

He has only had 2 that have had the wild display of "paws of fury" (kicking and bucking and log rolling). the others were like tremors and lil flem or pee and it was done. I have not flea and ticked my dog as of yet and its usually k9 advantix.

if he tends to be a 1xor 2x a year event i don't see the wisdom in pilling him up.

he ended up having a great day in the child pool!! And night came and his tail was all fubarred. he got cold tail. i wonder if theres a correlation between that and the seizure?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

All of our labs have had cold tail & none have ever had a seizure. What does your vet say about his seizures?

My vet likes me to pay his mercedes pmt when i go. I got my required shots and boosters when needed. I had a welsh corgi that had seizures 3x per year. so i kinda of learned from the vet at that time if the dog aint having like 2-3 per month just do ur best to comfort them. besides diesel was a rescue of sorts- tied to a tree and either beaten/neglected or baited. we took him at age 5 mos- he does well with us but outside the immediate family and frequent extended family friends he'll have anxiety and severe fight or flight. but strangely when i take him for walks children do not bother him.The ppl that had him were black or dark hispanic-when ever i run into males of this group it sets my dog off as does police in uniform as i understand they were frequented at this household and on 1 occasion was told my dog was either taized or hit. but thats 3,5 yrs behind and diesel is co alpha of a 4 dog household- the other alpha is a feist dog who was s/b a mini fox terrier.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

the cold tail what is the cause? is it muscle strain at base of tail? as he swam last summer in the Atlantic playing fetch and never got it yet yesterday we had the kiddie pool filled with cold water from the hose plus he was doused with the hose....

georgie is offline Senior Member

Here is a link about cold tail.
    Cold Tail, Dead Tail, Limber Tail

Dogman is offline Junior Member

My lab has had siezures,frequent ones unfortunately.After having him tested the vet concluded he had canine epilepsy,after further tests we discovered he had hypo thyroidism,which can cause seiezures as well.After getting him on thyroid and epylepsy meds his siezures were reduced from grand mal to minor head shaking/trembling.This is acceptable since they don't mess him up and make him lose control.
    If your dog has very infrequent siezures that doesn't sound to hard but the grand mal siezure you described is a bit scary.Maybe you should consider a blood test just in case,who knows what was done to him before you took him in.If he was fed things that are harmful he could have some liver or kidney damage,you never known.
    BTW,good job taking in a dog that needed a good home.Thumbs up to that.

When we originally got Diesel he had a complete Blood Profile for thyroid, liver, and renal along with shots. I found somewhere on google that labs that get over excited during excercise can have seizures. I know that he put on some weight(girth) but in picking him up and weighing him he's like 75-80lbs. He drinks when needed and eats leisurely. but since i've gotten ollie my 7 mos old lab who is a cannibal of all things-diesel does not have the leisure of leaving his food unattended-at times i know he might not want to eat right this second but he does. Diesel eats 3-4 cups daily and Ollie a solid 4-4.25 cups. i've seen ollies dad and he was a very big boy at 95lbs rock hard. maybe i'll have vet run a thyroid.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

What you are talking about is Exercise Induced Collapse, which is not the same as seizures. I would get the thyroid panel. Grand Mal seizures are not something to fool around with and he can have cumulative brain damage. It's also very tough on other organs as well.

I would consult the vet about this increase in his seizure level and if you have to put him on pheno daily to reduce the severity of the events, that's not so hard to manage.

http://www.hurricaneanimalhospital.c...s/Seizures.pdf
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labgirl12 is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 0lli3NDi3SE1 View Post
    Yesterday morning my 3 yr old Lab diesel was acting funny- just kind of sitting there with a twilight zone expression on his face. He tried to get up and started to violently thrash about and do log rolls. I quickly threw myself on top of him as he was trapped between the bed and dresser- i'm all cut up from flailing paws- and got him to his side and petted him til it was over. he yacked a lil yellow wad of flem wagged his tail and it was over. this was first thing in the morning. He's had others this is maybe #4 or 5 in his life. i keep him well hydrated being an active dog. i think the last one he had was during a ball retrieval game. In looking these up it says labs are prone to seizures? and there is a specific term for labs that get seizures for being too excited??? WTH? what lab isn't excited of the prospects of ball or frisbee throwing..

He has only had 2 that have had the wild display of "paws of fury" (kicking and bucking and log rolling). the others were like tremors and lil flem or pee and it was done. I have not flea and ticked my dog as of yet and its usually k9 advantix.

if he tends to be a 1xor 2x a year event i don't see the wisdom in pilling him up.

he ended up having a great day in the child pool!! And night came and his tail was all fubarred. he got cold tail. i wonder if theres a correlation between that and the seizure?
    Have you spoken to your vet about this? It could be a case that requires heavy medication. Good luck OP.