Nervous scratching?

Thread: Nervous scratching?

Furthuron is offline Junior Member

DefaultNervous scratching?

Hello! I'm new to this forum and just got five-month-old Elphie (lab/? mix) from a rescue on Wednesday. Some background: Elphie is from China. I'm not sure how recently she traveled, and she was with her foster family for about one week before we got her.

The scratching issue is strange. It only happens when she's inside our house, and it doesn't seem to correspond with correction or praise specifically. I can only guess it's somehow connected to her energy level, but then why not also scratch outside or in the car? We also have two cats inside, but she lived with cats in foster care too.

Any ideas would help! I'm hoping it's just nerves and will go away over time. She also has major separation anxiety.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Can you elaborate on what she is doing? Not much description of what her scratching problem is here.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Have you checked for fleas? What are you feeding her?
    BTW - welcome and congrats on your new puppy! Thanks for rescuing!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Thanks for rescuing as well. I am a little disturbed that the US is importing dogs from foreign countries for rescue. We have not solved the domestic problem and are still euthanising dogs daily - why are any rescues bringing in more?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

bett is offline Senior Member

are you sure she's not allergic to the cats? have you asked the foster parent if she noticed anything like that?

Sorry - just realized I didn't describe the scratching. Every few minutes she'll stop and scratch behind either ear with her hind leg. I sent an email to her foster mom his morning, but still haven't heard back.

As for rescues outside the US, I hear you. All the same, though, I'm glad I rescued this one.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

If she hasn't yet been to the vet that would be the 1st thing I would do, she could have ear infections. I wold also talk to the vet about the seperation anxiety. My B/C - Lab mix suffers from seperation anxiety. It was horrible when she was younger and the vet put her on a course of "puppy Prozac" for a while and it helped tremendously. She is still an anxious girl but it has improved greatly, she has not been on the medication for a long time. There is also a product called "The Thunder Shirt" that seems to work wonderfully with dogs that suffer from anxiety. I would definitely try this if Emma's anxiety increased again. Good luck!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

I bought her a Thunder Shirt, but it seems to have little to no effect. I'll try it a few more times before I return it, though. The vet says she has allergies, and now the scratching is both indoor and outdoor. I've started taking her collar off inside, and that helps a bit. Back to the separation anxiety: I've been doing a ton of research on it and have started giving her meals in Kongs rather than beforehand. It keeps her busy for a while and, when I get home, she's napping in the backyard. It's going to be a long road because she's still greatly agitated it I so much as leave the room, but I've looked at some good training sites, and I'll start using their methods ASAP.

Thanks to everyone for your responses! And Elphaba says thanks, too!