Annamaet vs Orijen

Thread: Annamaet vs Orijen

blackjack is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnnamaet vs Orijen

I am looking to switch everybody to a new food. With all the Diamond problems and the vet wanting me not to put Rusty on Natural Balance I have been combing the local retailers to see what there is and it's mind boggling. The vet wants Rusty on either a large puppy formula or a whole life food. He is currently on Purina Pro Plan large puppy. The beagles are on Natural Balance and have been for years because of ear infections - but they still get them so I don't think the infections are food based, I just think it beagle ear construction One store recommended Wellness but I don't want another Diamond Brand. I have read good things about Orijen and was happy to find it at the local feed store. They also carry a new brand (to them) called Annamaet. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Personally? No.
    The only thing with both of those foods is they are very rich...going from Pro Plan to Orijen may be a ....messy transition.
    So go very slowly.
    Both are great foods though.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I feed Acana which is from the same company as Orijen - it's slightly less rich and has worked better for us than the Orijen did. I don't know anything about Annamaet though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hershey123 is offline Member

Annamaet is perhaps new in the California market but the company is about 30 years old and was the first company to make a high performance food for sled and hunting dogs. Annamaet Ultra was the first dry food on the market with 30% protein and 20% fat. The company was started by a research student, Robert Downey, at the University of Penn Vet school that took on a project in Dr. David Kronfeld's lab funded by Alpo. The funding was dropped when Alpo figured out it could never make and sell a food of this quality so Robert Downey took the recipe and started Annamaet.

Downey is one of the most highly respected and copied men in the dog food business. His research is cited in thousands of publications and he is incorruptible. He never took Annamaet to a pure commercial level because he won't cut corners.

To this day, Annamaet Ultra is considered the best performance food you can buy. His other formulas and supplements are equally fine. The GF foods are best in class.

According to the Facebook page, the formulas are all changed a bit, with a new vitamin mix and some ingredient changes.

He sells nothing without extensive testing on all his dogs and a network of trainers, handlers and other nutritionists.

There is no better line of food available on the US market. I buy 30 bag skids of it and have for years.
    Last edited by Hershey123; 05-19-2012 at 08:48 AM.

utsava is offline Junior Member

Red faceOrijen v. Annaemat and other foods

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack View Post
    I am looking to switch everybody to a new food. With all the Diamond problems and the vet wanting me not to put Rusty on Natural Balance I have been combing the local retailers to see what there is and it's mind boggling. The vet wants Rusty on either a large puppy formula or a whole life food. He is currently on Purina Pro Plan large puppy. The beagles are on Natural Balance and have been for years because of ear infections - but they still get them so I don't think the infections are food based, I just think it beagle ear construction One store recommended Wellness but I don't want another Diamond Brand. I have read good things about Orijen and was happy to find it at the local feed store. They also carry a new brand (to them) called Annamaet. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Hi, I have researched a lot of foods and basically tried them all- If I was you i would instead using the Purina Pro plan large puppy use the Fromm Gold Large Puppy, Fromm is a high quality food, with human grade ingredients. They have been in the business for very long and never had a recall, a bad batch, nothing. They do quality control and dogs usually do very well on these foods digestion wise. They also love Fromm! You can, down the road switch the flavors around and also go the Four Star lines, which has different kibble sizes and this way your dog has some variety.
    I believe Annaemat is also an excellent food. I give my dogs beside Fromm the one with Lamb and venison grain free. It is also not a bad idea, to give 2,3 foods every day or simply rotate them the way you like.
    Orijen used to be the main food before the company changed the formula-my dogs got bad digestion afterwards. The company itself is 'so so', however, I feed the Orijen Adult still as a snack, and believe in the quality. I discovered, if I transition slowly and add probiotics and yogurt, it works, and the dogs have no digestion problems. So what I basically do, in the morning they get the Orijen as a snack, which they love, and in the evening home made meals with Fromm or Annaemat kibble. And my dogs are very,very healthy.
    I recommend also Horizon but it is rather hypoglycemic, good for older dogs, and Merrick can foods, as they are one of the few which are BPA free. It is good to add some wet food to the kibble as well.

But I promise, you will be very happy with Fromm, it won't give your dogs any issues, and it is of very high quality. It is a good idea to rotate the foods some around health wise, as this way your dogs are less likely to get allergies and it gives them variety. I would not give just one brand, but i always came back to the Fromm, as noone can beat the flavor, quality and reliability of this food. Mine love the surf n'turf and the salmon very much, but all other lines too.

utsava is offline Junior Member

Defaultgood dog food

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack View Post

Hi, Natural Balance, Wellness are not the same like they used to be; not very high quality anymore after they have been sold out to investment groups or simply are more into profits/taking shortcuts. Regarding ear problems: I would switch to Horizon Pulsar as they contain great probiotics and such ear problems can clear up easily with this food. I would also rinse the ears with vinegar/water every day or Hydrogen Peroxide and try coloidal silver internally; and also give them yogurt, as the probiotics will help the immune system. Any additional probiotics are great too.

Anyhow, Annaemat as i have stated earlier is excellent also.

Your dogs are likely to have ear problems when they are fed grains and if they don't get probiotics, so by switching foods the ear problems should clear up. I have a springer who gets often ear issues and often switching foods around helps alot. Also the K9 ear solution is in my opinion the best product on the market for these issues and should take care of the problem as well.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Wait - What happened to BJ!!??
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!