Poop infrequency

Thread: Poop infrequency

SilverBullet is offline Senior Member

DefaultPoop infrequency

My lab, Chief mostly goes #2 (poop) two times a day, which is normal. We go first thing in the early morning, then he usually will go about 2-4pm that afternoon. However there are times when he may go #2 again as early as 12noon (only 5 hours after going in the A.M.) but there are also times (not often) when he wont go #2 the second time in the afternoon. I'm wondering do others deal with this sometimes also? And, when he only goes #2 one time in the morning and not again until the next morning, is that safe or could it eventually lead to health issues? I realize if he has to go, he will, however, Chief is very picky on where he goes. Most times, we spend 15-20 minutes walking around (and he sniffs EVERYTHING) and this only is annoying when its pouring rain outside or in the winter when its extremely cold. Just wondering if your dog sometimes wont or doesnt go #2 a second time in the afternoon/evening. Thank you.
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

i don't think it's a problem. he's going daily.

Thank you. Just was curious about it, just in case. I realize us, humans sometimes will go once a day, or twice a day, but was checking on this because dogs are different
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

The main concern should be the poops consistency. Is it normal, too thin or constipation? If its normal, then I wouldn't be concerned.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Yes, the consistency is normal, rarely, if ever, runny at all. Thank you, I feel better.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Ours usually poop twice a day. Sometimes once. I have noticed with mine, if we train & they have been running in the field, they may go again. It is always firm & normal. As long as it is a normal consistency, I wouldn't worry. I think the food they eat also can play a part in it.

Thank you. Mostly Chief does poop 2 times a day for the most part. Every once in awhile he will only go once a day, in the morning. At first I would worry but realized, I take him out enough during the day and evening, so if he HAD to go, he would, just like we do. lol Last week was at my brothers and he was running around in the backyard and playing with 2 neighbor dogs that came to visit and they had such a great time. I got there about 2pm and Chief went poop right away. By the time I left about 8pm, he had gone poop 3 separate times there, plus the one in the AM, so he went 4 total times that day, which is a record LOL

Hopehik is offline Member

If your dog is unusually active they will poop more. My older male lab Jager goes a few times if we hike 2-3miles and the pup (19 weeks) will also. Older dogs are more predictable, younger dogs, not so much due to growing etc. I feed decent food, Earthborn, (switched from TOTW), and like it better in the poop department (less).

labgirl12 is offline Banned

Good luck Op, talk to your vet. Or talk to javasmom, she spews poop out of her fingers.