Pool swimming and Labs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool swimming and Labs

Jenylynne is offline Senior Member

DefaultPool swimming and Labs

We have an inground pool that I'm sure my pups are going to enjoy. I'm just wondering what, if anything I have to do after they swim. Is hosing them off good? We use bromine in our pool, I'm going to assume that if it's safe for us, it's safe for the dogs?

We had a baby guard gate put up when we first moved in...a mesh type gate aroudn the perimeter of the pool to keep the kids out. We had taken it down but I'm thinking it's probably a good idea to put it up again for the dogs.

So, do your dogs swim in a pool? Do they like it? Do you only let them in at certain times or do you just let them have at it when they want?

Of course we will be in the pool the first time the pups want to go in...no pressure for them. But the way they "Swim" in their water bowls and in puddles leads me to believe they are going to be regular "lap" dogs!
    Jen

Cleo, our black beauty

Zeus, our yellow, mellow, fellow

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I'd hose them off after swimming. Also, make sure you teach them where the steps are. I've heard too many stories of dogs accidently drowing in pools because they fell in and didn't know how to get out on their own. Personally, I think it's a good idea to put the fence back up.

Laceezmom is offline Senior Member

My last lab would be in and out of the pool all day long. She would chase one ball and decide she was hot. Always went in and out of the steps. Current dog - 1 3/4 yrs old does not go swimming on purpose in the pool, loves lakes, does a lot of water play on the steps, blows bubbles nicely but does not go in for a real swim. As long as they know where the steps are they will be fine. we would hose off at the end of the day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

That mesh fence won't keep most labs out. We fenced off the part of our back deck that attaches to our pool deck with wire fencing. It held her out when she was little, but by 6 months, she just "bowled" right through it. I previously posted a funny Sophie-pool-adventure story. Some labs will move heaven and earth to get to that pool! We ended up having to fence up a good 6 ft high to keep her out.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    That mesh fence won't keep most labs out...
    I always forget most dogs aren't like mine when it comes to barriers. As much as Caleb loves to swim, I could put one of those garden border fences around a pool and he wouldn't go over it.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I got an above ground pool for Erns. He loves it.
    We had to put a fence and gate up so he couldn't get to it or he was swimming at midnight. I would wake and he would be on the cover trying to get it off.

I only let him swim when I am around. This is what he does.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

I would treat your dogs like you would your kids and supervise pool time. I think its better to be safe then sorry when it comes to that stuff. I think hosing them off will be good enough seeing as how labs have oily coats that dont really let to much water absorb. If after swimming you notice that they are getting dry itchy skin maybe it wouldnt hurt to use some sort of doggie oatmeal shampoo and conditioner after swimming in the pool. I think those pups are going to have a super fun time swimming though! I just got my pup a little kiddie pool and I cant keep her out of it everytime we go outside Its really cute.
    ~Amanda

My sweet girl Gemma

Mt first beloved dog Bailey on her last day with us. Run free girl!
    You will always have a special place in my heart!

Dani is offline Senior Member

I used to have a pool but took it out last year. It was an above ground oval, 16 x32 and the boys loved it. My deck went right to the edge and they were taught to climb up and down the ladder and to not swim near the edge as to not snag the liner. They also never jumped in the pool until I was ready and a certain toy was brought out. Otherwise, they never flinched to jump in until that toy came out. I never had a problem.

I only rinsed them off. It's the hair in the filter that was a pain.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Maxx loves regular and kiddie pool swimming. I just rinse him off after he has been in the big pool. The hair in the filter is a pain but he loves it so much it is worth it. I have never allowed him in the big pool unsupervised, I am a spaz about things like that! Yours will probably have a blast!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

SilverBullet is offline Senior Member

I am so jealous of all of you Chief is almost 2 years old and has never had any real water or pool experience yet. When he was about 8-10 months old, I took him to the breeders for a visit and he went into a stream, but the water was only about 4-6" high, barely up to his knees, so that doesnt really count. My brother has an in-ground pool and asked if I could take Chief there to swim some time and he said yes. But I do see that the only issue with that would be the dog hair in the filter, as some of you mentioned. Is that the only bad thing about having them in his pool? I mean, with the chemicals and chlorine, theres no risk to others swimming by having Chief swim also, is that correct? I would be very curious how Chief would react. Not sure if he would go in or just jump in, but cannot wait to finally see him have his very first water/swimming experience. Oh and my brothers pool does have steps at the shallow end, so that is a good thing too.
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast