Advice on neutering
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on neutering

Watson is offline Member

DefaultAdvice on neutering

apologies if this has been raised before, I've skimmed the forum just in case but didn't spot anything (and I'm work, so I shouldn't be reading stuff that's much more interesting than the project requests coming in!).

Our vets are advocating having our lab neutered as soon as he's old enough, citing various medical conditions which could be averted, and behavioural advantages, but I lived with non-neutered dogs until I left home for uni and none of them developed the conditions or problems being described. The cynic in me is wondering if their advice has anything to do with the unusually high price they charge for the procedure...

Watson's now 18 weeks old, and his biting is much reduced though he has started growling and barking when getting his harness on for walks or having his feet wiped after a walk (unless food is used to distract him).
    We'd like to start a family, and one of the reasons I got a puppy now was to have a protector as well as a companion for them; how would that protective instinct be affected?
    What potentially negative consequences could we see from the procedure, e.g. how much could his personality be changed, weight management issues, stunting of growth?

So... what are the pros, and what are the cons? I've no real plans to use him for stud, so there's no financial incentive to keep him intact - I'm just extremely reluctant to inflict the procedure on a basically sound dog for my own convenience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum!

Others will weigh in with their experience here, but it's my understanding that neutering doesn't impact behavioural issues as people think, I have never heard of the "protective" instinct being affected... btw, Labs are more so companion dogs than protectors

It is in the dog's benefit long term to wait until the growth plates are complete, 18 months if I'm not mistaken. But again, people that have had more dogs than me, longer than me and breeders will chime in with some good info for you.

Btw we love pics so post some of your pup!!

labby is offline Senior Member

You should NEVER neuter a Lab before 18 months of age and their growth plates have closed. Your vet's information is outdated. This was written by a vet and actually the benefits of waiting far outweigh those of early neutering. When To Spay When To Neuter In fact, early neutering is detrimental and doesn't really have any benefits. Neutering early actually causes the growth plates not to close causing a larger, weedier animal. The "stunting the growth" is actually a fallacy.

The best pet in the world is a neutered male, but just wait until he's reached full maturity. He won't miss his testicles.....you're putting human emotions on his balls.

Oh and if you wanted a protector, you got the wrong breed. However, you got the right breed for a companion.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Perharps we should sticky the response to this question as it comes up every two weeks or so. But neutering does NOT impact personality. It does not "fix" any behavior or training issues.

A dog will only get fat if you feed too much or/and do not exercise enough. Netuering does lower the testosterone as per my vet but that doesn't mean a dog will be LAZY nor that they will gain weight. That is up to you the humans.

Here are some threads on the topic: https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...-opinioin.html

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...neuturing.html

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...right-age.html

and there are more: https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/s...earchid=268248 (or just type "age to neuter" in the search bar)

here is a list of articles on the topic: Neutering Articles and Information
    Last edited by Tanya; 05-10-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

oh and as labby said - labs are NOT known to be protectors other than barking if someone comes to the door. They tend to love everyone and everyone. A stranger is just a friend they haven't met yet.

p1ngputts is offline Member

Just some input...

Landon (7yr old) was neutered at 7 months and Logan (1 year) was neutered right after 6 months.

I had a long talk with a few Vets at the MSU vet teaching hospital and they said there is no problem with neutering after 6 months. It''s more of a personal preference.

I know some people on here say 18-24 months, but I believe my dogs turned out fine, as by their health (other than Logan's kidney issues which had nothing to do with neutering).

I can't tell you what is right or wrong, but just do whatever you feel comfortable with. My family has had around 6-7 labs/goldens in my lifetime and all males were neutered before a year. Never once had a problem. Just my .02 and not disagreeing with other posters.
    Last edited by p1ngputts; 05-10-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    apologies if this has been raised before, I've skimmed the forum just in case but didn't spot anything (and I'm work, so I shouldn't be reading stuff that's much more interesting than the project requests coming in!).

Our vets are advocating having our lab neutered as soon as he's old enough, citing various medical conditions which could be averted, and behavioural advantages, but I lived with non-neutered dogs until I left home for uni and none of them developed the conditions or problems being described. The cynic in me is wondering if their advice has anything to do with the unusually high price they charge for the procedure...

Watson's now 18 weeks old, and his biting is much reduced though he has started growling and barking when getting his harness on for walks or having his feet wiped after a walk (unless food is used to distract him).
    We'd like to start a family, and one of the reasons I got a puppy now was to have a protector as well as a companion for them; how would that protective instinct be affected?
    What potentially negative consequences could we see from the procedure, e.g. how much could his personality be changed, weight management issues, stunting of growth?

So... what are the pros, and what are the cons? I've no real plans to use him for stud, so there's no financial incentive to keep him intact - I'm just extremely reluctant to inflict the procedure on a basically sound dog for my own convenience.
    Several people have posted links that are probably worth the read, but I'd bet that the articles are mostly advocating the procedure.

Having said that, I don't think chopping a dogs nuts off are the answer to anything and I've never done it to any dogs I have ever had. None of them ever had any issues as a result of leaving them intact. This trend of castrating animals for convenience and then masking the action as being humane to them is more than a little bit disturbing...to me anyway.

As far as your dog being a protector, Moxie is the epitome of the perfect protector for my wife. Moxie was raised while we were doing relief work after Hurricane Katrina and no one ever got between my wife and him. When someone would walk into the field office Moxie would just come around and stand between her and the individual that came in. He was dependable security for her while I was off-site and I felt a lot better knowing he was with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_J View Post
    Several people have posted links that are probably worth the read, but I'd bet that the articles are mostly advocating the procedure.
    No in fact many of the articles state it is best to wait until a dog is mature before doing the procedure at a minimum. maybe read before you put down other posts.

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    No in fact many of the articles state it is best to wait until a dog is mature before doing the procedure at a minimum. maybe read before you put down other posts.
    I wasn't putting down anyone's post.

Forgive me if I missed it but could you point out the link that is advocating against neutering your dog?

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_J View Post
    I wasn't putting down anyone's post.

Forgive me if I missed it but could you point out the link that is advocating against neutering your dog?
    Seems the OP was considering the procedure, therefore links were posted to help advise the best way to do it -- 18 mos instead of the assumed 6 mos. That is the information people chose to provide.

If you want to advocate against neutering period, go right ahead. But don't pass judgement on information in a link you clearly have not read. What colour are your glasses??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast