sign the petition
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sign the petition

bett is offline Senior Member

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I don't understand this... The timeline in which they have between when they obviously recognized the problem was worth a public alert, to when distributors and retailers were notified and then when the public was notified was less than 12 hours!
    I was notified by in the evening hours (before 9) and by the following morning it had already been made public. There is a chain of events that has to take place..it's not as easy as HEY just tell everyone at the same time. Cripes it already causes mass panic!
    Kim

Oh and don't get me wrong..I am in NO way defending Diamond! But I did not see this slow response that others are talking about..
    NOW do I think there was a problem LONG ago that was overlook... perhaps. Perhaps.
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

i know for a fact, the problem existed. my 3 got sick from the chicken and they reassured me a zillion times that it was ONLY the lamb and rice.

yeah, right.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bett View Post
    i know for a fact, the problem existed. my 3 got sick from the chicken and they reassured me a zillion times that it was ONLY the lamb and rice.

yeah, right.
    I have no idea how it works, but is it simply ignorance or lack of a certain procedure? When they are notified/realize one of their products has a problem are they proactive enough to test ALL of their products? Are they supposed to? Sure we'd like them to, but is that how it works, industry standard? It certainly is not in their best interest to lie, cover up and reassure without reasonable belief that it really is OK. So NOT defending Diamond, just wondering in a devil's advocate kinda way.

I agree with Kim there is a process & the turn around for notification was pretty quick. The mass recalls certainly exasperates the issue to a very scary degree. Basically, I am wondering if it is possible that when they reassured you, there was no absolute proof that the formula you were feeding was affected.

Personally, if Champion Pet Foods that makes Acana (which I feed) issued a recall on one of their formulas I would stop feeding Acana immediately, even if it wasn't the specific formula we were using.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I think a large part of the issue is that most pet food consumers are quite out of the loop and never even know that a recall happened. Dozens of recalls on all kinds of things happen daily - most people never see anything about it unless the company has some way to reach them directly (IE - you get a notice about your car's recall because it is registered to you). But if you have an appliance (like a defective dishwasher) and you did not register it (like most don't) you'll never know until you possibly have an issue. It's even harder to be notified with consumable products.

So maybe pet food stores (large and small) could help with this via an e-mail notification system they maintain on their own to get the word out to their customers.

And - I'm not absolving Diamond either - they obviously have serious management issues with their production and I hope this recall and the many people who are switching foods (and brands who are abandoning their production) will be the nail in Diamond's coffin.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    So maybe pet food stores (large and small) could help with this via an e-mail notification system they maintain on their own to get the word out to their customers.
    When I started researching a new food for Diesel & learning more about potential issues, recalls, etc. I signed up on Dog Food Advisor to be notified of recalls of any kind. I did the same with Champion to be notified of any issues with Acana or their other brand Orijen. I agree about consumer ignorance and feel it is my responsibility as a pet owner to be as knowledgable & proactive as I can be to protect my dog.

Did you even send in samples of your food to diamond or to an independent?

My note to EVERYONE who EVER suspects food of making dogs sick. It is NOT enough to complain about it, you need to take action. Testing is the first step. You can only say it made your dogs sick but you need proof the food was tainted. Sick dogs, for the companies sake, is not enough sadly.
    I know! I just was dealing with this same issue with Lily and when I switched her on Natural Balance last Dec and by Jan nearly lost her to liver failure. I DID test my food, NOT for salmonella and now wish I had
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbay View Post

My note to EVERYONE who EVER suspects food of making dogs sick. It is NOT enough to complain about it, you need to take action. Testing is the first step. You can only say it made your dogs sick but you need proof the food was tainted. Sick dogs, for the companies sake, is not enough sadly.
    ^^100% You as their owner see them & know them, if your gut tells you something is wrong you need to take action, you can't sit back & wait for someone else to admit or discover something is wrong. Always trust your gut.

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbay View Post

I know! I just was dealing with this same issue with Lily and when I switched her on Natural Balance last Dec and by Jan nearly lost her to liver failure. I DID test my food, NOT for salmonella and now wish I had
    By the time i realized that the food was the culprit, the food was finished.when i opened the second bag, my third dog had not yet been sick, so i merely returned the opened bag to costco and got a full refund.
    And, if you go to diamond's website, they advise you to throw the food out.
    Yeah, i bet.
    I'm not giving up, however, even tho diamond doesnt return my calls left on the head vet's voicemail nor do they respond to ch.2, cbs news. Or my emails.

And i'd hardly say that i sat back and expected anyone else to take care of this wretched, untruthful, situation. I just would like to put it out to any dog owners who may have fed tainted food and had their dogs get intestinally ill.
    Last edited by bett; 05-10-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast