Food Bloat - scary weekend
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food Bloat - scary weekend

kromulok is offline Senior Member

DefaultFood Bloat - scary weekend

So Jax almost didnt get to his 14 week birthday Sunday. Friday night we noticed his stomach was literally the size of a vollyball or soccerball and rock solid. We immediately took him to the vet and the xrays are scary! He had food bloat (thankfully not the gastric or air bloat where the stomach twist and flips over). They gave him a shot for gas and told us to not feed or give water for 24 hours. We could do 3 shots of water every 3 hours is all. He finally deficated it all out and is back to normal. Though I was hoping to find a solution to prevent this from happening again. The issue appears to be narrowed down to he is eating way too fast and sucking in too much air. So with some research (thanks again to this forum!) I found that a brake fast bowl could help with this and slow his eating down. This mornings breakfast he puked some of it up. So I really see all indicators pointing to too much air intake due to too fast of eating. I ordered one and it will be here wednesday.

Here are the xrays of my puppys belly

xray1.jpg

xray2.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Whoa! How much are you feeding him at a time?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

That is very scary and something I hope I never have to deal with.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Scary

I agree with teh above question - how much are you feeding in a meal? More small meals through the day will prevent bloat. Also soak the kibble before feeding (fill the bowl with water).

I also try to feed an hour (or as long as possible) before and after (on both ends) strenious exercise. A 20 minute walk is fine but when we were at the dog park and the dogs ran I want an hour to feed (and I will not feed within an hour before going). Same if we were going hiking or having the dogs play fetch.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Wow that looks painful. Glad all turned out well.

He gets 1 1/2 cups in morning 5am and 1 1/2 cups evening 5pm, though the vet advised we are about to the point to give 2 cups - said its a judgment call during this phase of his growth period. Said he is really filling out well, and advised you dont want him fat but dont want him showing ribs either. Said the amount seems good but during this next growth spurt if we start seeing ribs to up it to the 2 cups.

We started watering it down on a 10 min soak prior to feeding. We also are not letting him go outside and run for 30 min to an hour after feeding as well.

The other background story to this is a week ago he had 3 to 4 days of really bad really stinky diahrea. Vet determined it was coccidiosis (microspoci parasits in intestines that a lot of dogs have but being a puppy his immune system is not strong enough yet to keep it in check whereas adult dogs immune systems keep it in check). So they put him on a antibiotic pill to help with that and then he stopped deficating for two entire days. Then he started deficating for 2 days regularly. Then this happened Friday night.

Some recent pics of Jax:

About 4 weeks ago
    jax 10 weeks.JPG

About a week ago
    20120505085435.jpg

Yesterday - tired doggies!
    jax shady 1.jpg

Any more tips? It is all appreciated.
    Last edited by kromulok; 05-07-2012 at 12:41 PM.

georgie is offline Senior Member

That is scary. I am glad he is okay. Kate eats way too fast. I got the break-fast bowl & it has helped. We also feed three divided meals a day.

Ok so either fate hates me or I am just a horrible dog owner. My head is about to explode and I feel guilty as ever. Jax figured out how to unlatch the latch mechanism on the kennel today and let himself out all day while I was at work. He also pushed the door open to the laundry room where we keep the bags of food. I obviously did not shut and latch that door, i know for fact the kennel was though. I ordered a plastic container for the food that gets here this week sometime, but too late... Jax helped himself to Shadys bag of dog food and ate who knows how much. He has food bloat again. I feel horrible. I know, there was no way for me to know he would break out and do that but I feel horrible. My little guy looks really bad although he doesn't even seem to be bothered by it. So here we go again, 24 hours of close watch , 3 shots of water every 3 hours to avoid dehydration and lots of crossing my fingers that he will deficate or puke this out in the next 24 hours.

It is not as big as it was Friday and it is not rock solid like it was Friday but it's still really bad.

Any well wishes are accepted.

jax bloat round 2.jpg

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Wow! I am sorry to hear that he has repeated this problem. I hope he is OK.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts for Jax. You have just learned the all important lesson of how "smart" and determined labs are. I hope he recovers without any problems.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast