Red spots on tongue?

Thread: Red spots on tongue?

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

QuestionRed spots on tongue?

I just noticed yesterday that Diesel has red spots, more like patches (dime size), on his tongue. It's just on one side & on the same side there is a long strip of red right on the side of his tongue. I can't get a pic of it, I tried to google it but can't find much out about it.

His gums look ok, breath is fine, eating normally, didn't get into anything that I'm aware of, etc. so I don't think it warrants the e-vet. I am taking him to his regular vet - Tuesday morning is the earliest I can get him there - anybody seen this before, have any idea what it is? Thanks!

ETA: the patches aren't raised, it kind of looks like a layer of skin is off.
    Last edited by Diesel_Dawg; 05-06-2012 at 01:36 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I can't imagine what it might be but I do hope all is ok.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by deidra View Post
    Thanks, Deidra Nothing in there really described what he has, but just reiterated he needs to see a vet which he will be on Tuesday if I can't squeeze in Monday morning.

I can't take a pic one handed while trying to pry his mouth open! So I found this pic on google of a human tongue -- this is kind of what it looks like, but Diesel's tongue is perfectly pink so the patches on his tongue seem bright red.

Attachment 4494

georgie is offline Senior Member

Can't imagine, Roxy. I will check back for an update after your vet visit.

Update - we have no idea what they are

Managed to get him in on Monday morning. Got a full blood panel to see how WBC, liver & kidneys were, I did a full panel as it'd been more than a year since I've done it & I've changed his food etc. Everything is normal. He has had a bit of a cough, she listened to his chest & it was all clear so it didn't warrant xrays (his previous pneumonia started the same way -seemed like a mild cough, but was full blown pneumonia - so had she heard crackles I would have done the xray). She said his mouth looked normal otherwise - no ulcers, etc. We concluded the coughing could be due to some irritation with whatever may have caused the tongue blotches - we both agreed it looks like a chemical burn but no idea how it happened, if that's what it is.

He was scratching his right ear on Sunday night as well & she noticed some bumps & redness. So with no idea what has caused the tongue blotches, the cough possibly due to irritation & with the ear flaring up we put him on antibiotics to see if it clears it all up.

Still curious though, so if anyone has experienced this tongue blotch thing please let me know!

deidra is offline Senior Member

Has he been licking a lot of things? Maybe it is sore from that? Good thoughts for Diesel...

P.S. really like your new siggy with the flowers in the back round.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Has he been licking a lot of things? Maybe it is sore from that? Good thoughts for Diesel...
    He's not an excessive licker & I've been able to spend pretty much 24/7 with him lately so I'm 99.9% sure he hasn't gotten into anything - the vet asked if he'd chewed any cords - nope there. Our lawn isn't treated with pesticides & he hasn't grazed anyone's that has. Absolutely stumped! I have noticed that it does bother him a bit when he eats or rather inhales his kibble, if one is stuck between his tongue & cheek it really bugs him. This is going out on a limb but I had bought him what I would consider "junk food" cookies that are also NOT grain-free like his food - bad mom! - so I've cut those out & we're back to just the dehydrated liver treats he loves. I just hope it goes away soon, I hate to think he's in any discomfort

P.S. really like your new siggy with the flowers in the back round.
    Thanks! I desperately needed decent pics of him & discovered a daffodil garden nearby & took him for a photoshoot.... He let me take 75 pics before turning into Diesel the Daffodil Destroyer!!

Attachment 4504

I guess they aren't that tasty after all!!