Lots of ?

Thread: Lots of ?

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

DefaultLots of ?

So I took Koko to the vet yesterday because I thought she was due for her rabies vac. When I got there they notified me it wasn't till next year. I still opted to see vet because I had a lot of concerns. First was her skin...the vet said probably enviromental allergens and we should do allergy testing. Then it was her arthritis...she wanted to xray her hips and knees...they tried but koko wasn't having it so we will have to do it later under sedation. She did reccomend Science Diet J/d and Dasiquin. I quickly ruled out SD but did do research on the Dasiquin. I decided to switch Koko from her senior Innova to EVO salmon and herirng. I read that grains can aggervate arthritis. My questions are if I switch her to the EVO fish do I still need to give her fish oil, also do I need to be giving her Vit E with all the fish oil? Also is Dasiquin a good glucosmine supplement. Right now I am giving her syn-flex, liquid gluc.(1500mg of gluc. ) .
    Katie adopted by koko

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I feed Puff (and me) a 1500 mg Glucosamine/1200 mg Chondroitin tablet plus a Fish Oil 1k mg capsule once daily. The Fish Oil also has Vitamin E in it and my understanding is that Vit E should go with it. I suggest you google Fish Oil Vitamin E and surely you'll find something there. I buy both the G&C and FO at Costco; Consumer Reports rated Costco's Kirkland G&C the most potent and least costly of many brands.

Daisuquin is sold only by veternarians so, in addition to any office visit fee, you'll also be paying an extra amount to buy that brand from her.

Regarding the fish vs. fish oil capsules, I suppose some would depend on how much and what kind of fish is in the food -- some, like salmon, are more rich in fish oil while others not so much.

I suggest you call the customer service # on the Evo bag (first figuring out how many kcals you want to feed and how many cups/day that is) and ask them "if I feed X cups a day of your salmon & herring food, how much Fish Oil is she getting in comparison with a 1,000 mg capsule?"

If I can find it, I'll ETA the Costco prices for G&C and Fish Oil

ETA: Costco's G&C, 190 tabs, $23.49; Fish Oil, 400 capsules, $9.69

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 11-24-2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: G&C, FO prices
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

I already had the visit so I wouldn't pay any additional for the dasiquin. I'm just wondering if it is any better quality than what I'm giving her now which doesn't seem to be helping. I did not do a loading dose so maybe that might be why. I just looked at my fish oil bottle, it does contain vit. E. I hate seeming neurotic I just want my girl to be as healthy as I can afford. Unfortunately her pet insurance is not covering any knee problems so any knee surgery is out of the question. I just want to make sure she is comfortable. I believe in my heart a good food, with supplements and exercise will do justice, the trick is finding the right combo. As far as allergies, I'm still considering doing the allergy testing. I wonder if it will be worth it.
    Katie adopted by koko