Amount of food

Thread: Amount of food

Samson125 is offline Junior Member

DefaultAmount of food

I actually have 2 questions
    First of all....amount of food. Samson ALWAYS seems hungry, I feel bad, but also don't want to overfeed him. He is eating about 3 cups of food per day plus treats. He is 3.5 months old. He is eating puppy chow. Not my first pick, but what the breeder was feeding him and I didn't want to upset his system. Any suggestions on quality, affordable food with less fillers and should I be feeding him more?

Also, on a side note (and completely unrelated)...recently when I have been taking him to the dog park to run off energy he has been getting to the point where he will vomit. I am not sure if it is because it has been quite hot out and he is downing water quite quickly, just a lot of stimulus for him, or if I should be concerned for other reasons. When he gets home he is fine and eats and drinks like normal. Any suggestions are welcome. For the most part when we go he is either the only dog (aside from my shih tzu that he lives with) or very few dogs there.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Puppy Chow is a poor quality food, and full of fillers. The grains and junk probably don't stick with Samson and he feels hungry all the time. Labs love to eat, and often act like they are starving, but it could still partially at least be the food. Once you change to a quality food, even the poops will be better. Less volume for sure. You can change by gradually adding more and more of the new food to the Chow over a couple of weeks. As far as the vomiting...if he's getting really hot and gulping water, he also gets lots of air in the gulps and theat could make him throw up.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

labby is offline Senior Member

Switch him over to something like ProPlan adult chicken and rice (not the shredded blends). If you can't find that, then try the ProPlan Selects adult chicken and rice. 3 cups of food per day for a growing puppy is not enough. Plus you're feeding a food that isn't quality and yes he's going to be hungry.

As to the vomiting, he's getting too much exercise. You never exercise a puppy to the point of vomiting. At 3˝ months of age, you should be doing short walks and maybe a few retrieves. He should not be guzzling water either, which also might be causing the vomiting. Please do a Google search on Gastric Torsion or Bloat in Dogs.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the response! Any suggestions on food?

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Switch him over to something like ProPlan adult chicken and rice (not the shredded blends). If you can't find that, then try the ProPlan Selects adult chicken and rice. 3 cups of food per day for a growing puppy is not enough. Plus you're feeding a food that isn't quality and yes he's going to be hungry.

As to the vomiting, he's getting too much exercise. You never exercise a puppy to the point of vomiting. At 3˝ months of age, you should be doing short walks and maybe a few retrieves. He should not be guzzling water either, which also might be causing the vomiting. Please do a Google search on Gastric Torsion or Bloat in Dogs.

At 3.5 months, I feel it is too early to switch him over to an adult food; the vet has recommended not doing that until he is neutered. Any recommendations on a quality puppy food that would have less fillers? I agree that 3 cups of food is not enough for a growing puppy, but I have also been told to factor in treats that are given through the day with training, playing, etc, which comes out to about a cup plus or minus. We are only at the dog park for about 30 minutes at a time and do mostly walking, practicing coming when called, and some retrieving. I didn't really feel that it was too much, maybe I should step it back?

labby is offline Senior Member

I have my puppy people switch at 3 months, the same as Leader Dogs for the Blind does, and so do most of the breeders I know. Since it's not good to neuter before 14-18 months of age, by going by your vet's advice he's going to be on puppy food for a long time.

Up until 3 months, I require my puppy people to feed ProPlan puppy.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    I have my puppy people switch at 3 months, the same as Leader Dogs for the Blind does, and so do most of the breeders I know. Since it's not good to neuter before 14-18 months of age, by going by your vet's advice he's going to be on puppy food for a long time.

Up until 3 months, I require my puppy people to feed ProPlan puppy.

Thank you for the advice! I will try to see if that helps and also consider switching over to an adult food sooner! I appreciate it

~Amber