People Food to Dog Food

Thread: People Food to Dog Food

JasminesDad is offline Junior Member

DefaultPeople Food to Dog Food

My wife and I rehomed Jasmine, a 1 year old chocolate lab, about a week ago from an elderly man who could no longer take care of her. From Day one it was clear that she was NOT used to eating dog food and that her previous owner feed her directly from the table.The previous owner said that he had feed her Purina Dog Chow and so that's what I had bought her - but she wasn't eating it and was instead begging at the table. After calling the owner about this and some other issues, The previous owner said that he had tried to feed her Purina Dog Chow, but that she preferred chicken nuggets, hamburgers, and french fries from McDonald's.

I thanked him for that information and immediately went and bought her Blue Buffalo Large Breed Chicken and Brown Rice formula. I had good results with my now deceased Golden Retriever, and so that's what I decided to try. I started feeding her the exact time that I ate - twice a day and she started to eat the food.

Now, 5 days AFTER she's started eating the Blue Buffalo, she's started to have diarrhea. I am not convinced that it's the food because of my previous experience, but I have no answers. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Thank you for taking Jasmine And for having sense enough to not feed her people food, especially crap like McDonald's!!

I would guess it is in fact the Blue Buffalo - but not in a bad way. Her poor digestive system is having an overhaul from crap to quality, you will likely see diarrhea for a bit longer. Give her a good 3 weeks to let her adjust.

Has she been to the vet for a thorough check-up? If not she should, just to rule out anything else that may be going on with her.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Agree with the vet visit. Is this just loose stool or very watery frequent diarreah? The latter could make her dehydrated, which may need some medical intervention if it goes on for a couple of days.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jasmine went to the vet today and she did very well for the first time. Our vet agreed that it was most likely the transition between the foods that was causing the issue and that Blue Buffalo was a good choice to getting her back on track. The diarrhea is slowly starting to go away it seems like - still pretty loose, but getting better.

What's also encouraging is that she was going a whole day on only 2 cups of food but now she's starting to go through four cups a day - so that makes me very happy!

Quote Originally Posted by JasminesDad View Post
    Jasmine went to the vet today and she did very well for the first time. Our vet agreed that it was most likely the transition between the foods that was causing the issue and that Blue Buffalo was a good choice to getting her back on track. The diarrhea is slowly starting to go away it seems like - still pretty loose, but getting better.

What's also encouraging is that she was going a whole day on only 2 cups of food but now she's starting to go through four cups a day - so that makes me very happy!
    Glad her vet visit went well Up to 4 cups a day?? How much does she weigh? That sounds like a bit too much kibble. Labs can pack on a lot of weight & quickly. How does her body look?
    And how often does she get cookies - if you give them? How often is she exercised?

My dog is only on 2 cups of kibble a day, I mix in a tablespoon of canned each meal or sometimes dump half a can of sardines on his kibble & I take into consideration how many cookies he gets & the amount of exercise. Depending on her current weight, body condition, supplemental food like cookies, and her exercise you may need to adjust her kibble intake. If I fed Diesel 4 cups a day with his current "schedule" he'd be obese!

Humm . . . well . . . Jasmine weighs in at 65 lbs. Her body looks good and and healthy according to the vet today. I use a large scoop for her food and I think it's probably about two cups. I feed her once in the morning and once at night about 12 hrs apart. She doesn't eat it all right away, but rather snacks on it all day until I give her another scoop. Once she sees me giving her more food, then she'll eat but she always saves some food for later.

I think she's probably trained herself to save food in case she doesn't get anything for a while or a McDonald's bag comes walking through the door! Which, I have learned, causes her to bark UNCONTROLLABLY until she is distracted by something else. Suffice to say, while fast food may sound like a quick and easy way to have a fast meal after a long day, it's not very fun or comfortable to try to eat it while you have a lab jumping, barking and snapping at you!

As far as exercise goes - I'm giving her about 20-30 minutes of exercise every morning, another 20-30 minutes of exercise at noon, and then I spend about an hour or more with her each night exercising her. This is basically amounts to a brisk 1 mile walk (yeah - she still pulls although the Gentle Leader really helps out a lot!) followed by 10-15 minutes of frisbee in the morning and at lunch. At night it's a 2 mile walk followed by 30-45 minutes of frisbee or fetch in 10-15 minute sessions throughout the night. I'm doing my best to wear her out every day and so far it seems like it's working! (and the bonus is I'm getting worn out as well!)

She doesn't get any cookies - only the Pet Botanic Low Calorie Training Rewards and not more than 5-10 each time I exercise her. I figured that she's had enough questionable food in the past that until I can get her training, exercise, stamina and nutrition under control, cookies, rawhides and other things are out of the question. I did get her a Kong and I have filled it once with a little bit of the Kong peanut butter - she seemed to like that.

Let me know if you think I need to cut her kibble down. This is my first Lab and there's a lot I have to learn - so if you've got some advice I'd appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by JasminesDad View Post
    Humm . . . well . . . Jasmine weighs in at 65 lbs. Her body looks good and and healthy according to the vet today. I use a large scoop for her food and I think it's probably about two cups. I feed her once in the morning and once at night about 12 hrs apart. She doesn't eat it all right away, but rather snacks on it all day until I give her another scoop. Once she sees me giving her more food, then she'll eat but she always saves some food for later.

I think she's probably trained herself to save food in case she doesn't get anything for a while or a McDonald's bag comes walking through the door! Which, I have learned, causes her to bark UNCONTROLLABLY until she is distracted by something else. Suffice to say, while fast food may sound like a quick and easy way to have a fast meal after a long day, it's not very fun or comfortable to try to eat it while you have a lab jumping, barking and snapping at you!

As far as exercise goes - I'm giving her about 20-30 minutes of exercise every morning, another 20-30 minutes of exercise at noon, and then I spend about an hour or more with her each night exercising her. This is basically amounts to a brisk 1 mile walk (yeah - she still pulls although the Gentle Leader really helps out a lot!) followed by 10-15 minutes of frisbee in the morning and at lunch. At night it's a 2 mile walk followed by 30-45 minutes of frisbee or fetch in 10-15 minute sessions throughout the night. I'm doing my best to wear her out every day and so far it seems like it's working! (and the bonus is I'm getting worn out as well!)

She doesn't get any cookies - only the Pet Botanic Low Calorie Training Rewards and not more than 5-10 each time I exercise her. I figured that she's had enough questionable food in the past that until I can get her training, exercise, stamina and nutrition under control, cookies, rawhides and other things are out of the question. I did get her a Kong and I have filled it once with a little bit of the Kong peanut butter - she seemed to like that.

Let me know if you think I need to cut her kibble down. This is my first Lab and there's a lot I have to learn - so if you've got some advice I'd appreciate it!
    A Lab that snacks?! LOL, that's just craziness!! She sounds like such a sweet girl!! I am by no means an expert, others will chime in I am sure, but if she's at 65lbs & looks good & the vet didn't comment, I don't think you should be increasing her kibble from 2 cups to 4 cups. Diesel is at 2 cups a day, he is also at around 65lbs, if I up it by even just a cup a day he'll hit 72lbs in no time & that's when the vet tells me I need to cut back.

But wait for a few others to reply before you change feeding amounts, simply because I can really only tell you the bits of what I know & it's mostly geared around what I've learned from here & what I do with mine!

Btw, her exercise regime sounds great!! Have you posted a pic of her yet? I don't think I've seen her.