Treament for Lipoma's

Thread: Treament for Lipoma's

labsinthesky66 is offline Junior Member

DefaultTreament for Lipoma's

Need some advice..Have a 6 year old yellow lab named Lizzie. Last night I discovered 4 spots that look like Lipoma's. Going to the vet on Friday. Outside of surgery(praying they are not cancerous) has anyone tried to treat this with diet or herbal methods? Can they shrink on their own this way? Thank you for the advice!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

There is no treatment and as far as I know they don't magically go away.

For the most part, they stick with your dog and if you are lucky, they do not grow any bigger.

If they do grow bigger (even if all they are are JUST fatty tumors) they will need to be removed if they hinder movement or get irriated.

labby is offline Senior Member

Unfortunately Labs are a breed that have these. Unless it's bothering the dog, like in an armpit, I leave them alone. They'll just grow back. If I removed every lipoma from my Labs, they'd be nothing but scars. Shanny has a grapefruit sized one on her ribs, but it's not going anywhere. I'm not willing to put her under for something cosmetic.

Take a deep breath, have them checked by the vet and then relax and just keep an eye on them.

One thing I will say and have said in the past, every dog owner should be doing a thorough body exam on their dogs monthly. Any new growths should be noted and discussed with your vet. This is how I found all the Mast Cell Tumors on my dogs and had them removed before they spread so badly they killed the dog.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Yup. What Laura said.

At one point my vet was aspirating every new lump and bump because my guy has a rare metastatic lymphoma...but now we don't. I'm pretty sure I know which ones are cancer and which aren't. But at this point, we aren't doing anything for either.

Embrace all the lumps and bumps! They add character!
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Labby is right. If I removed all the lipomas from Nellie there would not be a dog left. She has a grapefruit sized one behind her front leg. As long as it does not impair movement it stays. She is just too old for surgery.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

Buddy has lots of fatty tumors too, how can you tell the
    difference between a fatty tumor and a cancerous tumor,
    those that said they could ?
    Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Laura well said about checking regularly. Since Kassa I have been a little paranoid so always checking every inch.

Erns has a few lipomas and over the last couple of days have felt a couple more. It still makes my heart stop every time I feel one.One on Erns chest hasn't grown much in a couple of years. The one on his side seems to be growing quite rapidly so will get that one checked.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

labsinthesky66 is offline Junior Member

Good news from the vet...all spots were non cancerous! Thanks everyone for their input. I was pretty scared but now I can breath a little easier. Just need to keep an eye on them. Laura I like your signature pictures with the so called "silver labs" I am constantly educating people and friends that there is no such thing. Why people want to claim this when they are just breeding with the Weim's is beyond me..messing with the gene pool is all they are doing. And fox-red is just a yellow really. Just my opinion. Thanks again everyone!!