Our first emergency
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our first emergency

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

DefaultOur first emergency

I got home at 18:30' this afternoon from work. I took Cassie out of her crate and took her outside to the backyard to pee. We played for about 5 minutes and took her inside for her meal. Then she run into some plants -something like bushes- I have and I lost her in there. I finally got her out after 1 minute.

After her meal we went for a walk about 20mins. Same route we go everyday. After the walk we got home. I had my dinner in the kitchen and she was there with me. After I finished dinner a friend came by and we took Cassie outside for another pee. This time she run in the front yard so I went after her and picked her up. This was for about 30 seconds. Immediately we got back to the house and my friend noticed she was scratching her self. In 2mins she puked. I called the vet right away and while I was talking to him I saw her face was swollen! I was terrified and told the vet, her face now is swollen! He told me bring her to me, I'll be there in 20min, he told me. It was about 20:00'. I told him I'll be there in 15'. So we went and while I was waiting for him she puked 2 more times.

When he came, he checked her face for any bee sting on her snout but didn't find anything. While we were there she puked another 2 times. Total 5 pukes! He gave her 2 shots on her legs and in a few minutes her face started to get back to normal. He also gave me 3 pills to give her in the morning.

She will have some chicken tomorrow noon and at night. No food and water for tonight. Water tomorrow morning. Now she is better. I have her here with me in my bedroom for tonight.

I felt sorry for her watching her face like that! I was so worried. The bad thing is that I don't know what caused all that so I will avoid it again! Did she ate something or something sting her??

I hope it will never happen again!

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Glad to hear she's okay!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am glad she is ok, I am sure that was scary. It is hard to say what may have happened, sounds like a bee sting maybe.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Aww! Poor Cassie and poor you! That is very scary. She likely got stung or bit by a bee, spider or other bug. You will never know, but at least now you know how she reacts. When Diesel got stung/bit last year for the first time (only time so far - knock on wood!) he puked once, got all woozy walking like a drunken sailor then one side of his snout blew up to the size of a baseball & he started wheezing. The vet's reaction didn't help when he said "omg his face is HUGE!" couple of shots & sent home with some Benadryl and he was fine.

One of the things you won't really be able to avoid because it can happen so quickly. I'm glad she is okay

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a bee sting or something similar, but who knows. They get into the weirdest stuff! Bauer was stung on his paw once, and it swelled up but no vomiting or breathing problems. I would have been scared to death.

Im glad she's doing better.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

She could have been stung inside her mouth where you wouldn't see it. I am glad she is better!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

georgie is offline Senior Member

I am glad Cassie is feeling better. Kate got bit by bees when she went too close to a nest we didn't know was in the back yard. Her face swelled up so bad. Quick trip to the vet & a shot & some pills. Her face swelling went down after that. I always make sure I have Benadryl handy. It is scary.

Carolinagirl is offline Senior Member

Poor Cassie. It's so scary when you don't know what's happened. Glad she is better.
    Nicole & Jack (rescue @ 3 years old)

We do have some bees in the yard because we have flowers. But usually they leave by sunset. This happened after it got dark. Cassie eats everything that is moving or flying. She eats, ants, butterflies, flies.. Who knows maybe she ate a bee also.

I have a first aid kit for Cassie at home with couple of shots in case she gets poison or bitten by bees. When I called the vet last night I asked him if I should give her a shot but she wanted me to take her to him. So he went back to the clinic and opened for us.

Thank you all.

I checked the garden this morning.. no sign of bees. The plants I have have no flowers so there are no bees for now. I have bees when the plants are bloomed but not now. So I guess something else bitten her.

She was fine this morning, she played and jumped on the couch. Last night she couldn't even get on the couch.. but today she was jumping. Thank God she's fine.. I don't want this to happen again.. it's very scary. ouff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast