too small for her size ? - need opinions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: too small for her size ? - need opinions

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

Defaulttoo small for her size ? - need opinions

Cassie and I visited a Kennel today to have a talk with the trainer.

I have seen a Labrador who was 4 years old and I have also seen her 2 daughters. The 2 small labs they are almost 4mo. They are not even 4mo and they were bigger and heavier than Cassie. Cassie is 5mo and 12.3kg (27pounds\lbs)

I have told the trainer that I got Cassie from the breeder when she was 34 days old. And he told me that she might be small for her age because she didn't have enough milk from her mother. She stop breast feeding too soon.

In order to train her when she will be 6.5mo she needs her to gain some height and weight. He told me to visit his pet shop next week and see how she can help her "grow" bigger. He will check what type of food shall I give her to help her get the appropriate height and weight for her age.

Can I please have your opinions on this matter please? Shall I change (again) the food she's having?

When I'll know what kind of food he will suggest I'll post it here so if someone knows it to let me know if it's good or not.

Is my lab small for her age??

Thank you once again.

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

um - I wouldn't do that. you can't force a dog to get taller. and too much weight and growing too fast is BAD for a puppy.

If she is a good weight and healthy - which is something to discuss with a VET not a trainer, then leave well enough alone (i.e. do NOT add anything or change anything to her diet).

Why does she have to be taller to train? that makes zero sense. And even IF (big if) she were abit skinny (i.e. - this means you can see ribs) she can STILL train - what's that about? I've trained and worked with dogs that needed to gain weight all the time?

ETA: you can't just look at numbers on a scale to judge a dog - you have to LOOK at them and judge by how they look overall.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Ok I just can't get over this - are there other trainers in your area? I mean if a dog looks unhealthy (obese, dull eyes, etc.) then ok I can see a trainer making suggestions on better kibble but this guy is just over the top. If he were a good training I may still take classes with him but never leave him alone with my dog and I would smile and thank him for the advice but not take any of it. What makes him so knowledgeable in kibble? Or height? Or weight? of a dog. I mean really, maybe you just have a small lab, they come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. You can't MAKE a dog tall by supplementing them!&
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Labs come in all sizes and weights. There is no reason she needs to be bigger or gain weight to begin working with a trainer, I have never heard of such nonsense. I would not worry about trying to "make" her gain weight either, every picture you have posted here - she looks lovely! Personally, I would be looking for a new/different trainer!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Labs vary quite a lot in size. There is no reason for you expect that your puppy will be the same as another puppy the same age. Your pup will probably top out at about 50 pounds.

I would not advocate any diet to bulk her up or make her grow faster. All that could potentially lead to are orthopedic problem and a fat dog. If she is on a quality diet appropriate for her age, stick with that and allow her to grow normally.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistarkos View Post
    In order to train her when she will be 6.5mo she needs her to gain some height and weight. He told me to visit his pet shop next week and see how she can help her "grow" bigger. He will check what type of food shall I give her to help her get the appropriate height and weight for her age.

Can I please have your opinions on this matter please? Shall I change (again) the food she's having?

When I'll know what kind of food he will suggest I'll post it here so if someone knows it to let me know if it's good or not.

Is my lab small for her age??

Thank you once again.
    Ok, first it concerns me that someone is telling you she must be a certain height/weight to be trained??? I could understand if it were for showing/confirmation stuff, but just for training. Something is wrong there.

Second - do not change her food again!! She's a puppy, not a yo-yo! ProPlan is an excellent food and you are not giving her a chance on it - at all really.

Okay, and this is coming from MY experience, not sure if I've already said this to you or not, but you remind me so much of me when I got Diesel. I panicked over all the little things, looked at him constantly every time he moved or made a noise thinking is he ok? was that normal? I know I'm a bit of a worrier, I dote on him way too much, it could be the whole "new parent" thing.

You know what happens when you worry too much about every little thing about your dog? You become obsessed about it, you don't enjoy their puppyhood and you could be affecting their enjoyment as well, you end up making more mistakes then if you were to just let them grow/evolve/change - and they will change constantly as they grow. Not to mention needless dollars spent at the vet. Diesel did have a few "legitimate" vet emergencies but the majority of time wasted worrying and money spent needlessly in the end was silly of me to do.

I don't mean to make assumptions about you, but you seem to worry so much about so many "normal" things and while it is AWESOME you care enough to ask, and I encourage you to KEEP ASKING, try to worry less & roll with the punches so to speak.

As for your concern about her size - yes there are guidelines of what height/weight they should be, but every dog is a little different. Plus she is still growing, at 5 mos I wouldn't be too concerned, she may have a growth spurt that will shock you!

You are doing a WONDERFUL job raising her and it is clear you love her dearly.... try to enjoy the puppy stage, they grow up way too fast!

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistarkos View Post

RUN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!!!!!

He'll suggest something with too much calcium and protein. Sure your dog will grow, but at the cost of horrible orthopedic problems. Your dog will grow as it's supposed to. I have a smaller Lab. She's shorter than the others that I have. It sure hasn't stopped her from doing anything. She finished her Championship in 8 shows and is one of the smartest dogs I've ever bred. Her size sure hasn't slowed her down any.

Do NOT try and manipulate your dog's size. Leave it alone, feed a good food and let her grow up into what she is supposed to be on her own slow terms.

Laura

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    You can't MAKE a dog tall by supplementing them!&
    Yes you can, but it ain't pretty and the damage done permanently is devastating.

Laura

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

Thank you guys for everything. I feel much better now and less worried

I will look for another trainer. So far I have seen 4 trainers.. I go with Cassie and talk to them. I will not take this one certainly. And I won't change her diet.

It looked kinda strange to me when he told me she has to put some height and weight. So I thought he wanted to sell his own food, he imports it himself. I hate this, trying to promote and sell their own products.

I also told him that I will speak with my vet first before changing anything to her.

Thank you all again for all the information you gave me and I will try to worry less and enjoy her puppy hood!

P.S. And I will definitely keep asking! Hehe
    Last edited by mistarkos; 04-22-2012 at 02:52 AM.

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Don't ever apologize for asking questions! How else will you learn or at least have a few opinions to think.about??!!
    Personnaly I have not heard you ask one question that is not an attempt to help your puppy so keep asking your questions. There are so many here with knowledge and wisdom, they are very generous with!
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 04-22-2012 at 04:20 AM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast