"STOP CHEWING YOUR PAWS!"

Thread: "STOP CHEWING YOUR PAWS!"

elle.burns is offline Senior Member

Default"STOP CHEWING YOUR PAWS!"

So my lab Josie has an annoying habit
    She chews and licks her paws.. She goes into a trance its like she loves it!
    I hate her doing it coz not only does she leave wet patches on the lounge bed carpet anywhere shes doing it, but her paws look pink and sore and are saliva stained

I've been to two different vets for two opinions
    First vet said allergies gave me steroid cream, which doesnt work coz she licks it off, vet said it could be grass or anything,I haven't changed her food and I only give her raw bones occasionally as a treat

Second vet said its a enjoyment/ habit thing that by doing it releases endorphins and feels good when she does it.
    I just don't know, but it's getting to the point where I'm putting socks on her at night and sticky taping them up so she can't get to them... Does anyone else have a dog that does this or know of any store that sell socks for dogs lol my husband is getting mad coz he never has any clean socks coz they're on the dogs paws..
    It's getting so bad I'm concidering getting her a cone collar!

The more people I meet, The more I like my dog...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I think both vets could be right. Is this a seasonal thing? i.e. allergic to something on the grasses. Does it happen more often when she do it when she returns from a specific place when out for a walk or at a park? Does it happen after the lawn is treated for weeds, bugs, or just fertilizer? I guess what I am suggesting is to try to isolate factors that may cause an allergic reaction. If none of that resolves it, maybe she just has a foot fetish?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

elle.burns is offline Senior Member

Nothing that I can pin point, it just seems to be getting worse Maybe it started as irritation now it's kind of a habit shes formed? It could be the grass at our place It never seems to be worse after walks or beach..just consistently chewing even when I wake up in the morning shes chewing away and theres a huge wet patch on the bed, it just not normal..maybe she does have a foot fetish...

The more people I meet, The more I like my dog...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

It's probably a grass allergy. Get a bottle of this:

https://www.aussievetproducts.com.au...252d-50mL.html

It worked for mine. You can get it from your vet or a decent pet shop.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It may help to wipe her feet off every time she comes in. Do you have disposable baby wipes there? They would work.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.