New to Labs what do i feed her? 4 months old.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Labs what do i feed her? 4 months old.

Taylor&Luna is offline Member

DefaultNew to Labs what do i feed her? 4 months old.

She was a stray (no id chip). The vet gave her vaccines, hearth guard, flee preventative, and a sample of Science Diet. I have my beagle on Blue Buffalo since she was a baby..she is now 2 years old, and so far she has never been sick (Hope to have the same luck with the new pup).

What i have gathered from internet research is that you can switch labs to adult food at about 6 months.. So i am thinking about buying her Taste Of The Wild puppy food (for the next 2 months), and then switching my beagle to the all stage TOTW (So they can eat the same food.)

One of my main concerns is joint or bone health or anything they are prone to.

What are you guys feeding your labs? Any treats for Bones or joints? Any health advise?

I am all about prevention and open suggestions. Thank you! Excuse the bad grammar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

TOTW is a fine choice. That's better than Science Diet. I switch over around 5 months personally, but that's me. Ortho issues are just as much a problem with environment and external factors as diet, inheritance, and the lot. If you get her on a decent diet, you shouldn't need to supplement her with any thing. Keeping her fit and exercising her appropriately should be sufficient.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Thanks for all the info. It's a lot of help!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Good luck with your new puppy!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thank you!

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

When I feed kibble, TOTW is my current choice, and is what my almost 6 month olds are switching to. (Otherwise I feed mostly RAW and semi-raw. I do supplement with assorted things, but mostly because I feed RAW and it helps provide the variety of diet that is essential to RAW feeding.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

On semi raw How do you go about chicken? Do you Take out the bone, And you give it frozen? I will look in to semi raw. I ended up buying LB Blue Buffalo for puppies.. Do you think, the regular adult blue will be ok for when she is older? My beagle does well on it.. But I understand my lab will have diffrent needs.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor&Luna View Post
    I ended up buying LB Blue Buffalo for puppies.. Do you think, the regular adult blue will be ok for when she is older? My beagle does well on it.. But I understand my lab will have diffrent needs.
    I don't really buy into the breed specific formulas, so I'm not so sure that your Lab will necessarily have different nutritional needs than your Beagle. A quality food should provide what all dogs need, regardless of breed. I could be wrong, hopefully someone else with more knowledge/experience can chime in here?

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    I don't really buy into the breed specific formulas, so I'm not so sure that your Lab will necessarily have different nutritional needs than your Beagle. A quality food should provide what all dogs need, regardless of breed. I could be wrong, hopefully someone else with more knowledge/experience can chime in here?
    I agree with you but I understand the reasoning behind breed specific formulas too. Labs have a different coat than say a Beagle. It's more oily so consequently I believe a Lab needs more fish based oils than an average dog. One of the reasons why I feed my Labs sardines once or twice a week. The average food doesn't seem to have that bit extra that I feel my dogs need to have a proper Lab coat.

Laura

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    I agree with you but I understand the reasoning behind breed specific formulas too. Labs have a different coat than say a Beagle. It's more oily so consequently I believe a Lab needs more fish based oils than an average dog. One of the reasons why I feed my Labs sardines once or twice a week. The average food doesn't seem to have that bit extra that I feel my dogs need to have a proper Lab coat.
    Ah! Thank you, I didn't know that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast