A year later, and Autumn's allergies are back. At a loss of what to do.

Thread: A year later, and Autumn's allergies are back. At a loss of what to do.

vanike927 is offline Senior Member

DefaultA year later, and Autumn's allergies are back. At a loss of what to do.

Some of you may remember that last year about this time Autumn began itching and scratching like crazy. She developed a rash on the belly, and lost a lot of fur on her underside from scratching. We noticed around this time an increase in the amount of grass seed in the yard. Anyway, we spent from about April of last year until July in and out of the vet trying to control her itching. We switched her dog food. She was put on vetalog shots, which helped but I don't like the idea of her being on them. She's on benadryl when she gets especially itchy but it really doesn't seem to stop the itch.

Anyway fast forward to this year, she developed the rash again and the itchiness. In fact she chewed a fairly large portion of fur off her hind leg (near the knee). There's tons of red bumps (but not sure if they're a result of her biting of the belly rash extended). I'd put some cream on it, but then stopped because I noticed it was encouraging licking.

At this point we have her under watch nearly 24 hours a day to stop any itching, and she's been good. Lucky her has even got to sleep with us so we can keep an eye on her. She's back on benadryl twice a day. She takes a fish oil each day.

As the weekend is coming to a close, I"m getting a bit nervous that I'll come back from work and find that she's chewed at her leg again. I'm considering getting a bitter apple spray, but am weary because I tried a hot spot oil once which she was very allergic to.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep her from scratching/biting? Or other supplements that may be useful? I just noticed that a few people raved about coconut oil, and am considering trying that out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I know it sounds time consuming but could you rinse the affected areas when she comes in? If she is allergic to the grass it may help. The only other thing I can think of is to keep her off the grass completely and train her to potty on concrete or gravel like they have in kennels. You could section off an area of your yard, fence it and put down pea gravel so she is not on the grass at all. Maybe others with allergic dogs can offer better solutions. Good luck.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

vanike927 is offline Senior Member

Thank you, we've started wiping her most affected areas when we come home. And we bought her a cone collar to keep her from messing with her leg and allowing it to heal.