End of my rope. Allergies but whatelse ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of my rope. Allergies but whatelse ?

leems is offline Junior Member

DefaultEnd of my rope. Allergies but whatelse ?

Hello all and thanks in advanced for your help.
    I am a noobie to this forum and have a problem with my 5 year old black lab (Nelly). We have been on and off corticosteroids, antibiotics and antihistamines (very worried about them). The problem never totally goes away. Nelly has both environmental and food allergies (currently on allergy serum) which we have eliminated the food but the environmentals will never go away (Trees (birch, elm, oak, maple and willow at top the list) and Grass ). Thyroid test negative. She constantly has hot spots, dry flaky skin, black skin and ears very dirty if not cleaned daily. I am suspecting some sort of yeast/fungus problem. I have come across Leaky Gut Symdrome and found products called Nzyme and Skin-eze, they sound too good to be true.
    Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.
    Last edited by leems; 04-08-2012 at 08:28 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I feel your pain. We're dealing with the same thing with Caleb, but not as bad. His skin used to be super flaky (you know it's bad when you can see the flakes on a yellow coat). Salmon Oil capsules have helped immensely. I also give him 1Tablespoon of raw/organic Apple Cider Vinegar daily a raw egg (shell and all), a can of sardines and a vitamin E once a week (egg one day, sardines and vit. E another). Frequent brushing also helpas with the flaky skin. I've also found that rinsing/hosing him off helps reduce the itchies (including the bottoms of his feet), as well as frequent vaccuming. Caleb's ears have been great since my vet treated him with Panalog in November. His ears have been nice and pink (no inflamation or dirt) since then- the longest he's ever gone. Until then, I was constantly cleaning/wiping his ears out. I've also given him generic Benadryll for the past couple of summers.

Thanks for the info MicksMom. I would rather try this rather than the magic pill....minus the eggs (allergic, although low still avoiding). Also, Corn, Rice, Milk and Pork.
    Last edited by leems; 04-08-2012 at 10:25 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Just a quick update. Had a conversation with another lab owner with similar issues. I am now trying Acidophilus tablets daily to see if she is possibly low due to the prolonged antibiotic use. I will document and get back to my post here with the results.

Also organic coconut oil may be helpful for the skin,orally and rubbing it on the hot spots. What do you feed now? Good luck and hope something works for you.
    Last edited by love my labs; 04-09-2012 at 09:30 PM.

~Reahven & Drake~
    Never knew how much fun a lab would be until I owned one. Can't imagine my life without them.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I have used the Nzymes BacPak product for years now, and have been very happy w/ it since it helps w/ digestion, etc.. No allergies here but for the folks I know who have used their products for yeast infections, etc, they worked quite well. They are a very helpful company from what I understand.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Mike, I read your PM before I saw this post. I sent you back a message. In addition to what we talked about, we give Sophie cod liver oil caplets twice a day for her dry skin. It really has helped. Her skin isn't flaky and her coat is glossy.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Please Google "coconut oil for dogs" and read up on the benefits. It is amazing stuff!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet it will eliminate ALL of these issues. I give all three of mine a big spoonful in the evening meals, and I am amazed. I order "extra virgin coconut oil" from Vitamins and Supplements, Natural Health Products, Organic Foods - Swanson Health Products

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Oh, and make sure it's organic...

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff View Post
    Please Google "coconut oil for dogs" and read up on the benefits. It is amazing stuff!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet it will eliminate ALL of these issues. I give all three of mine a big spoonful in the evening meals, and I am amazed. I order "extra virgin coconut oil" from Vitamins and Supplements, Natural Health Products, Organic Foods - Swanson Health Products

Amy- do you supplement with anything else or just the coconut oil?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast