Chicken Allergy? Help!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicken Allergy? Help!

DefaultChicken Allergy? Help!

Well it looks like I will be switching Gemma's food after all. She has been off antibiotics for a UTI for a couple days now. And since yesterday has been going nuts biting her tail, butt and back legs all while whining due to severe itchiness. I started to switch her from purina puppy chow whose protein source was corn ( which she loved the food and went nuts for ) to Simply Nourish Puppy Chicken and Rice. It doesnt have corn in it and the more this food dominates the bowl the more I have to coax her to eat. Well she if fully on SImply Nourish now is doesnt care for the food and obvioulsy only eats if shes starved. And now she is super itchy and its making her miserable. I guess chicken allergies in dogs is very common. And after reading up on this it looks like being on an antibiotic will help a skin condition caused by a food allergy I am convinced its her new food which the main difference is chicken. I have been looking at different brands that have lamb and rice recipes but a lot of them have some sort of chicken in them such as chicken fat. I also want to stay away from corn.
    Anyone got any good food ideas I can look into that are chicken and corn free? Its a little out of my price range but Im thinking Taste of the Wild. Im not sure though if the High Prairie Puppy one or Pacific Stream Puppy one would be better. ANd how do you know if a dog food is too rich for a dog? What are those signs?? And I would also like to know other food brand ideas.. If its more expensive then TOTW then that would be too much money for me. Also do you think 12 weeks of age is a little young for allergies to food? And how much do allergy tests at the vet cost? Im thinking she might be too young for that tho. Thank you!
    Last edited by Lab_Luver_Furever; 03-21-2012 at 08:42 AM.
    ~Amanda

My sweet girl Gemma

Mt first beloved dog Bailey on her last day with us. Run free girl!
    You will always have a special place in my heart!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

You haven't had an answer and looking for one so here goes.
    I am not going to be much help sorry as I don't know the food in the USA and have no idea if puppies can have allergies. I think it is best to discuss it with your vet.Erns has chicken allergy. I makes him very sick.

Tessa had allergies since very young and by the time I rescued her at 5 they were out of control. I always thought it was food. My very experienced vet said it can be many things. Did I listen...nope..which of course he wasn't happy about as he does know more than me or friends with dogs sensitive to food.

They can get allergies from inhaling grass or other pollen. Which is what we think is Tess, plus who know what else.

I have no idea how much or if you can get allergy testing on pups, but know here it is expensive.

Good luck and hope those that can help will chime in and help.

Your pup is adorable.

Edited to add. I just looked at the vet notes from when I got Tess. They took her to my vet luckily. She has had problems with her ears and allergies since at lest 16 weeks.
    Last edited by kassabella; 03-22-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie is an allergic dog. When she was about your girl's age she started having problems. We had her on a food with Chicken and changed to lamb and rice. She got no better. The vet told us to change to TOTW and to pick a protein she hadn't had before. He said that chicken and grains are common culprits in allergic dogs. Because of the reaction she had on the lamb and rice, we wondered it it was grains as well as chicken. We put her on TOTW Pacifc Stream, and the change has been amazing. Within a couple weeks her hair was growing back. Her inner thighs and side flanks were almost bald! She stopped itching and scratching constantly. We also put her on the flea pill Comfortis, because flea allergy dermatitis can affect a dog even after only one flea bite. So, I swear by the TOTW food. She is so healthy and her coat is glossy and beautiful. She is solid built and a beautiful dog! If you check your local farmer's co-op, you will find the food much cheaper. We pay $39.99 for 30lbs at our co-op. The food is more dense and it won't take as much as the puppy chow did. We put warm water on Sophie's. Good luck!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the reply It turns out that Gemma has some fleas.. had no clue till I used a flea comb on her and found 3 lives ones and there poop. I ended up giving her a flea bath using dawn dish soap and after she dried I applied a generic version of advantix 2 that tractor supply sells. Its the one that not only kills fleas and ticks but repels them as well. Tomorrow I am planning on spraying the house with Adams carpet and upholstery spray that kills fleas in all stages of life and ticks.
    I ended up switching her food to 4Health which is identical to Diamond Naturals puppy. Its lamb and rice. I mixed it with some of her old food. She already had diarhea from her other food and possibly some milkbones that were given to her (not by me). Well the kibble is bigger in size which she seems to have a harder time eating. It does make her eat slower bc she has to chew it up. It took some coaxing to get her to eat. For whatever reason I think she was stressed or had some anxiety today. I had to put some water on the food to make it more apealing to her. I just cant believe that she is such a picky eater. When we brought her home she would scarf her puppy chow down. And now shes just not that into eating her food like she was. I am curious to see what my vet has to say. Taste of the Wild will be the next food if I have to change it.
    ~Amanda

My sweet girl Gemma

Did you know you are supposed to wait 2 days after a bath to apply Advantix? The oils in the skin is how the product is distributed throughout the dog. The bathing strips those oils and the product doesn't distribute properly.
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

Yeah I just read that like 30 mins ago.. whoops.. didnt say it on the box.. its not advantix its liberty 50 which you get at tractor supply it does the same thing as advantix. my poor pup has a little cone on to keep her from licking her back.. she is so miserable. The thing is I am so glad I caught the flea problem. She had a blood test like 2 weeks ago and it showed she was slightly anemic and now I know why. Hopefully it didnt get to severe.. Ill find out on saturday at the vet.
    ~Amanda

My sweet girl Gemma

We give Sophie Comfortis. It is a pill. She's super allergic to fleas. The pills works great, but Sophie hates the taste and we have to "dance a jig" to get them down her. They are worth it though. They are less expensive than the Advantix, but work better. The Advantix wears off in heavy flea season, before it's time to apply it again. The Comfortis doesn't.
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

I have read about that.. I am going to ask the vet tomorrow about using Comfortis.. U need a perscription it looks like. I just have to get rid of these fleas. They have caused my pup to become anemic. We had a blood test done like 2 weeks ago and it showed she was sightly anemic and the vet (local one that i dont go to anymore) wasnt sure why. Well I know why now. I am gonna research some homeopathic ways to treat anemia in pups and also ask the vet what he thinks.
    ~Amanda

My sweet girl Gemma

bett is offline Senior Member

if the fleas are gone, i bet so will the anemia be gone.
    she must have been pretty infested in order to be anemic. no one noticed fleas or bites on her? (that would have been the first thing i would have assumed before assuming an allergy to her food.(the way you described her biting her rear and tail).
    and i'm not sure of the stuff you used-and the quantity or strength as most of the flea stuff goes by weight and you don't want to overdo it.

labby is offline Senior Member

Food allergies in dogs are actually quite rare. It prolly is not the chicken but something else in the food or in the environment which is causing the problem. I'd switch to a well known, proven chicken diet (like ProPlan) and see if the reactions continue.

Laura

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast