dealing with hip dysplasia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dealing with hip dysplasia

Coco's pal is offline Member

Defaultdealing with hip dysplasia

I took my chocolate lab Coco to the vet for xrays on Thursday due to the limp we noticed her develop in the last few weeks, He ran the lime test and it was negative, but the xrays confirmed she has hip dysplasia and a touch of arthritis. Sho only turned two years old yesterday! The vet has put here on Dasaquin and says we will have to just keep a eye on her. She is the exact weight she should be, and walks about six miles a day. I was hoping to here from someone who has dealt with this already and can offer some advice. Thanks in advance for any help

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

sorry I have no advice, but I am sending lots of good thoughts and prayer for your pup.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I have not had a dog with diagnosed HD, but agree that you need to have her on a joint supplement like the one prescribed. Its important to keep her exercised - if you can find a way to swim her more than walking a lot of distance it would be better. Less stress on the joint when swimming.

Others will probably have some advice for nutritional ways to support her joints besides the supplment.

Have you been walking her 6 miles for a long time?

And - you should notify her breeder of this.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

She has always gone on a daily walk, as well as spend a hour or two at the dog park. She worked her way up to the long walk over the course of the last year.She swims every day during the summer, but the pool is closed for the year now due to the weather here in NJ

allthatjazz is offline Senior Member

My Jazzy was diagnosed with HD last year(age 5). She is on 50 mg Deramaxx, 1500mg Glucosamine, and 1000 mg Omega 3 daily. She can have 50 mg of Tramadol for pain when needed. We had to get about 5lbs off of Jazzy, so you're in good shape about the weight. I walk Jazzy daily(weather permitting), but we only do 2 miles. My vet also said swimming was great because it keeps those muscles up in the hind qtrs. We don't have that available to us on a reg basis.
    We did have to eliminate frisbee and substitute grounder balls. Our vet said to keep Jazzy moving, 'cause the dogs that do the worst are the ones who lay around and get stiffer and stiffer.
    Jazzy also had an incident recently of OCD in a front shoulder. We were fortunate that it resolved itself and she's doing great now! You'd never know this dog has had any problems.
    Good luck to you and Coco. I know it makes your heart sink when you get that diagnosis, but you are on the right track to help Coco.
    May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am

Terri and Jazzy

Dani is offline Senior Member

How severe is it? Rider was diagnosed with CHD when he was around 2.5 years old as well. I keep his weight in check, he is still very active and shows no sign of limping. We still run agility and hunt tests. He's on condroitin and glucosimine daily and he's doing well. My vet said to keep him as active as he can tolerate and keep his weight in check. Now, almost 4.5 years later, he's still going strong.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Ernie was diagnosed with H.D. when he was 3.5.
    It gradually got worse and he now has monthly Adequan injections.
    Glucosomine didn't seem to help him.

The best thing is keep weight down, no jumping frisbee games,excersise without over doing it - I was told 30 mins a day- and swimming. I bought him an above ground pool and swimming has made a huge difference. Also a night in winter he has a coat to keep his hips warm. He sleeps inside.
    I am careful with him and if he needs to be a dog sometimes I used to give Metacam.Since he was diagnosed with Crohns and gut issues I have to be careful and if he is sore give him Tramadol.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

You've gotten some very good advice. The only thing I can add is to clarify the weight- it wouldn't hurt to keep Coco a few pounds under the recommended weight- no more then 5 tho. Where in NJ are you? If you're close to Flanders, you might want to look into Aqua Dog. http://www.aquadogrehab.com/

Thanks for all the great advice. Coco's wieght is 74lbs, the vet thinks that 75lbs is here ideal weight. I live maybe two miles from Aquadog and I'm planning to visit them this coming week.

I am new to this site and have a question. We have an 11 month old full grown chocolate lab. He weighs 74 lbs with not an ounce of fat--very active but no water around to swim. When he is running after something and does an abrupt turn he sometimes then lifts his left hindleg up and stops what he is doing for about 15-20 seconds as though he has injured his hip or knee momentarily---he is ok about half minute later and continues running without a limp. Could this be the earliest sign of a hip subluxation? I think I should have the vet examine him and maybe get an Xray. We are going to start giving him glucosamine and chondroitin capsules.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast