soft poop
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: soft poop

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

Defaultsoft poop

Hello again..

About 2 weeks ago I took my 4 month old lab to the vet because of anal glands. He cleaned her up and he also asked me if her poops are soft or hard. I noticed that after I changed her food to Orijen her poops are soft. The vet told be to give her some "All Bran" with her food because they have grain to help her. The Orijen has 0% grain. I'm giving her All Bran (with the food) for a week now and she still has soft poop.

Is there something else I have to do? Is soft poop a big problem?

Thank you.

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hershey123 is offline Member

Your dog's anal glands are not draining due to soft stool. Without a hard and adequately-sized stool, your dog has nothing to push against while having a bowel movement. That pushing drains the glands.

I don't know how to put it another way, Orijen is junk, despite what you have heard. Don't believe what you have heard about how many stars it has because people generally don't have a good experience with it.

Your dog does in fact need a food with better fiber. Your vet recommended All Bran due to the fiber content not the fact that it has grain.

You need to get rid of Orijen. For now, switch to Pro Plan All Life Stage Chicken & Rice and get the dog stabilized. No treats or table food either.

Your dog should be on a food with beet pulp as the fiber. Also, pick up a few days of FortiFlora from your vet. It is a probiotic.

And yes, soft stool is a big problem, it can lead to infection in the glands, scaring in the glands and then expensive surgery.
    Last edited by Hershey123; 03-21-2012 at 06:09 AM.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Although Orijen is a good fod, it can be too rich for many dogs....causing soft poop.

Might be time to try a different food, one that is not so rich.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I was in between the Pro Plan and the Orijen... darn it! I will switch to Pro Plan..

no treats at all?? I give her KONG stuff'n paste with KONG biscuits and also some other chocolate treats with vitamins.

Thank you for all the information.

I just talked with my vet and she told me they don't have the FortiFlora but they do have the Dophilus probiotic. She also told me to switch to Pro Plan but it's better for the dog to have a diet with another special food for this kind of situation before the switch to Pro Plan.

Hershey123 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistarkos View Post
    I just talked with my vet and she told me they don't have the FortiFlora but they do have the Dophilus probiotic. She also told me to switch to Pro Plan but it's better for the dog to have a diet with another special food for this kind of situation before the switch to Pro Plan.
    Get whatever probiotioc you can but FortiFlora is a really good one, so is Iams Prostora. Either are of these are available on-line or in shops now.

Cut the amount you are feeding by around 25% and mix half Pro Plan Chicken & Rice All Life Stages for three days. Then all Pro Plan.

Don't get the Pro Plan Shredded variety.

If you Google "problems with Orijen" you could spend the entire day reading about bad results. Orijen is not a good food and I wish people would be honest and say it rather than blame the owners for feeding to much.
    Last edited by Hershey123; 03-21-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Do not give a puppy probiotics at this point. Switch to a different food FIRST before you start adding things to her food. And sometimes the culprit of soft stool is over-feeding. You don't necessarily need to feed the recommended amount on the bag. I have never subscribed to the switching over slowly deal with the food either...many people do, but the fact of the matter is this, if your dog is having soft stools due to one food, switching over to another really isn't going to cause additionally soft poop. Just gets the culprit out of the system faster.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I'd cut back on the orijen. I have great poops on Orijen, but I don't over feed.

Orijen is not junk. I don't know who/where your sources are, but it is a great food when fed appropriately. On our rotation, we consistently get the nicest poops with Orijen.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    I'd cut back on the orijen. I have great poops on Orijen, but I don't over feed.

Orijen is not junk. I don't know who/where your sources are, but it is a great food when fed appropriately. On our rotation, we consistently get the nicest poops with Orijen.
    With the previous food we didn't have soft poops. When I switched to Orijen we have soft poops. For your dogs the Orijen might be the best food.. but for my puppy it's not, so I have to find a food that is good for my puppy.

She is 9kg (20pounds) now.. how much should I feed her? Around 100grams 3 times a day is good?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Hershey123,

I can't refrain from asking this question. Would you mind sharing your background, specifically what makes you feel that you have such expert knowledge on so many topics related to dogs? Maybe that would explain your irritating response in anything you post. In general we try to help each other out. Some members are quite knowledgeable on specific topics. Some are actually Veterinarians or Veterinary Technicians, although they don't state that publicly, and are by definition trained in many of the issues brought forward here. Now, you are an expert on dog food, proclaiming one source as junk. So, what are your credentials on this topic. I am interested even though I do not and never had fed this specific food. There are certainly lots of inferior animal feeds out there, but I am surprised that this one is now junk regardless of what we have heard or read. What is your basis for this proclamation?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast