Im new and I have food questions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Im new and I have food questions

DefaultIm new and I have food questions

Hey everyone!! Im a new lab owner.. adopted my akc black lab pup named Gemma on Valentines Days. She was 6 weeks when we got her and had been on puppy chow for a little while already. So sad.. her mom Midnight passed like 2 or 3 weeks long after giving birth.. one of the pups tore an intestine or something while welping.. owners spent over 6 grand on surgery trying to save her so sad. So my poor pup was orphaned but came from a loving family. She is 12 weeks now

My pup has an inverted vulva which is causing her to want to go out and pee a lot and she drinks more too. She is going to finish her antibiotic tomorrow morning for a possible infection in her bladder or kidney. Shes got a discharge too which really smells bad. I know this is something that she will most likely grow out of but Im thinking about changing her food to help with the infections. When we first got her she was on purina puppy chow. I didnt know how crappy that food was until a couple weeks of feeding her. Its got artificial colors and makes her poop almost red! Well before we were having pee problems I went to Petsmart to look at different puppy foods to switch her too. I decided on Simply Nourish bc the ingredients were really good and the person I was talking to there had a lab and feeds that to them and highly reccomended it. So I have been slowly mixing it in her puppy chow to switch her and now with the inverted vulva causing problems I am thinking I want to put her on food that has added probiotics to it. The brands I am looking at are Eagle Pack Large/Giant Breed Puppy, Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy, Wellness 5 Select Large Breed Puppy, 4Health Large Breed puppy.. I would like to do TOTW but its too much money. I have been doing a lot of research on foods and was wondering if anyone has had a pup with this problem and what they did. I started adding organic plain yogurt with live cultures today to her food and after shes done with the antibiotics which is tomorrow morning.. I am gonna start giving her cranberry pills daily. What do you all think.. am I going in the right direction with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Hi and welcome to the forum! I found a couple of links that might help you with your feeding problem.
    Best Dog Food for Urinary Tract Health
    How to Prevent a Canine Urinary Infection

I hope you find some useful information on these sites. Personally, I have found TOTW worth the money. Sophie's coat is beautiful and we started seeing the improvement within a couple of weeks. You actually feed less than you do with dog foods full of fillers, so it kind of evens out. Also, you don't need to buy food for large breed puppies. First of all, labs aren't considered large breeds. Also, these "specialty" foods are just out to get your money. A good quality food is all you need. We have Sophie on grain free because she has allergies. Did anyone tell you that you should wait till your girl has had her first heat to spay her? Her vulva may correct itself after her heat cycle. We love pictures here, so we hope to see some soon!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have been doing a lot of research on inverted vulvas and see that it should correct itself hopefully after her first season. I plan on talking to my vet more about it this week when I take her in to get her second round of puppy shots. I am hoping that she wont have uncontrolled pee problems after being after coming off the antibiotics. Today is her last pill. Shes been on Clavamox for 10 days. This has not helped the discharge on her puppy vagina but I expected that. I am really hoping the yogurt will help with that though. Shes been on antibiotics twice now and is only 12 weeks.. poor pup. Thats why I think I should put her on different food because who knows when she will go into heat for the first time and this vulva problem with getting infections easily really sucks and I dont want to have to keep putting her on antibiotics for infections.
    ~Amanda

My sweet girl Gemma

Mt first beloved dog Bailey on her last day with us. Run free girl!
    You will always have a special place in my heart!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd go easy on the yogurt. You can exceed the calcium requirement very quickly. You don't want high calcium as this will encourage quick growth - not good. Slower growth is better for her structure.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

How much do you think I should give her? I have given her 1 heaping tablespoon on her food.. do you think that is too much? Maybe I should just give her probiotics instead of yogurt
    ~Amanda

My sweet girl Gemma

labby is offline Senior Member

You do not need to feed a Large Breed puppy food. Try ProPlan chicken and rice puppy (not the Shredded Blends). I require all my puppy people to feed that. The puppies grow nice and slow on it and I don't see a lot of UTIs on it.

I won't go into getting a puppy at 6 weeks and all the issues involved with that cuz you've already gotten her. In's and Out's of Puppy Vulvas might help with the inverted vulva issue. I've learned over the years not to put them on antibiotics, just to keep the area clean and supplement with cranberry caps (available at just about any pharmacy, just make sure there isn't calcium in with it). You MUST allow her to have a season, but you need to be responsible during the season; not allowing her out without direct adult supervision and keeping her confined. If you spay too early you may condemn her to lifelong UTI problems.

Laura

labby is offline Senior Member

Please do not give a growing puppy yogurt. You do not give a puppy anything extra that contains calcium.

Laura

Thanks for the reply. I wont give her any more yogurt. I think I will do some research on probiotics.
    She was an orphaned pup. So it wouldnt have made a difference if we waited till 8 weeks to get her. She lost her mama a couple weeks after she was welped. Otherwise they wouldnt have let us bring her home at that age.
    We kinda thought she would go into heat before we could get her fixed due to the fact that our vet is booked up on spay and neuter surgeries till OCT 2012 which makes her 9 going on 10 months. Im hoping that she will go into heat by then and not a year to 18 months old. But we will see. I am going in this week for puppy shots and I am going to talk to my vet about more about her inverted vulva and when to plan the spay bc I absolutely do NOT want to worry about my baby getting knocked up. Thats the last thing I need is to worry about her health with being pregnant and giving birth as well as finding who knows how many puppies new homes with loving and responsible owners. That is NOT for me.
    ~Amanda

My sweet girl Gemma

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

No one has suggested this yet, but you can (and should) wipe her after she pees. Baby wipes are good for this.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I have been doing that with a warm wash cloth bc when you pick her up or she lays on you.. the stuff around her vulva gets on you and it stinks! I am going out today to get some unscented baby wipes tho I think that will be better the reusing a wash cloth. Thanks!!
    ~Amanda

My sweet girl Gemma

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast