Any Labs with Arthritis Here?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Labs with Arthritis Here?

kimmiekokonut is offline Junior Member

DefaultAny Labs with Arthritis Here?

Does anyone have or have had a younger lab that has experienced arthritis in the joints? My KoKo is only 4 yrs. old and am wondering if anyone has had this problem and gotten surgery for it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

What do you mean by surgery? I just lost my over 13 year old Bailey who had terrible arthritis of the spine. So bad he could not climb stairs at the end. I took him for acupuncture and within 24 hours of the first treatment he was doing the stairs faster than me. My Nellie is also old but is on Tramadol for the pain of arthritis.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Well, the vet told me that there is some kind of surgery they can do for a dog with arthritis in the knee. KoKo began limping this past fall, had x-rays and it showed she has some arthritis in her knee, lower back and hip area, but no displaysia detected. She is only 4 yrs. old. I've been giving her the glucosamine/condrontin and the prescription anti-inflammatories they have there ever since, but she still has some limp especially after sitting for a while or a day when she has been more active. I just can't imagine her having to deal with this for the rest of her life.
    I had osteoarthritis in both hips, bone on bone, and had both hips replaced this past year, so I know all too well the pain that goes with it and all the limping I was doing. Not fun! Can't believe she takes so much after her owner!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

My 3 year old girl Java has arthritis in both knees (as well as OCD and DJD) after tearing both ACLs and having them repaired.
    Java is on Hylasport Canine (Gluc/Chond/HA/MSM & Vit. C), Grizzly Salmon Oil, additional MSM (6000 mg per day), additional Vit. C (1000 mg per day) and Vit. E. She also gets Adequan injections (I give them to her at home).
    I keep Java very lean (60 lbs).
    The combo of keeping her lean and her supplement combination works wonders for her with no signs of lameness or stiffness, even after hours of activity (hiking, wrestling, playing, running, swimming, etc.).

meandkoko.jpgOkay, that is definitely helpful. I guess surgery is something that is not all that promising for a dog with arthritis? Where do you get the Grizzly Salmon Oil, is it specifically for dogs? Is it in pill form? As well as the Vit. C/E?
    I was told by the vet that KoKo is a good weight, 90 lbs., she was one of the largest puppies of the litter, no excess weight on her, she looks really healthy and lean since she gets plenty of running in after the ball.
    At one point she began looking a little heavy looking so we immediately cut back on her portion size.
    2010-04-26 16.00.27.jpg2009-12-19 12.53.44.jpg
    Last edited by kimmiekokonut; 03-17-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Hershey123 is offline Member

The only dietary supplement that has been shown to substantially help arthritis is Perna. Fish oil does help inflammation but it does not slow the progression. Perna does.

Quote Originally Posted by kimmiekokonut View Post
    meandkoko.jpgOkay, that is definitely helpful. I guess surgery is something that is not all that promising for a dog with arthritis? Where do you get the Grizzly Salmon Oil, is it specifically for dogs? Is it in pill form? As well as the Vit. C/E?
    I was told by the vet that KoKo is a good weight, 90 lbs., she was one of the largest puppies of the litter, no excess weight on her, she looks really healthy and lean since she gets plenty of running in after the ball.
    At one point she began looking a little heavy looking so we immediately cut back on her portion size.
    2010-04-26 16.00.27.jpg2009-12-19 12.53.44.jpg

90 lbs is big for a girl.
    Java is on the extremely lean side....even if your girl is at a healthy weight, possibly taking just a few more lbs off her could make a big difference.

I buy Grizzly Salmon Oil at Pet Meds | Dog Supplies | Pet Supplies | Pet Products | Pet Supply. It's a liquid, kept in the fridge. 3 squirts in her morning breakfast. They have a great deal on it right now....64 oz (6 month supply) on sale for $36.95, plus you get a $14 coupon towards your next purchase.

The vit. c and vit. e are human grade. The MSM is an equine supplement that is safe for dogs (states it on the label). I buy it at a feed store....$18 for a large container (it's a powder that I add to dinner).

Since I have horses I can tell you MSM does nothing. Our large animal vet also said it is worthless stuff. There are no peer reviewed studies on MSM.

There are also no long-term safety studies on MSM and the FDA has shut down MSM sellers for the claims made.

Fish oil does help but Perna is backed by multiples studies over 20 years.

OP, look for a supplement with Perna. You won't need to use fish oil.
    Last edited by Hershey123; 03-17-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hershey123 View Post
    Since I have horses I can tell you MSM does nothing. Our large animal vet also said it is worthless stuff. There are no peer reviewed studies on MSM.

There are also no long-term safety studies on MSM and the FDA has shut down MSM sellers for the claims made.

Fish oil does help but Perna is backed by multiples studies over 20 years.

OP, look for a supplement with Perna. You won't need to use fish oil.
    I can't believe my dogs are even still alive...I give them Heartgard, feed them Fromm in rotation and supplement MSM.
    Holy shit....I can't believe that anyone would allow me to have dogs considering I have been doing everything wrong for years.

Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    I can't believe my dogs are even still alive...I give them Heartgard, feed them Fromm in rotation and supplement MSM.
    Holy shit....I can't believe that anyone would allow me to have dogs considering I have been doing everything wrong for years.
    I wasn't being critical. Just providing the facts. Use what you want.

Halpern, G. Antiinflammatory effects of a stabilized lipid extract of perna canaliculus (Lyprinol). Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients. 2000; 202:109.

Kendall, R.V.; Lawson, J.W.; Hurley, L.A. New research and a clinical report on the use of perna canaliculus in the management of arthritis. Townsend letter for Doctors & Patients. 2000; 204:99-111.

Gibson, L.S.M.; Gibson, R.G. The treatment of arthritis with a lipid extract of perna canaliculus: a randomized trial. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 1998; 122-126.

Perna is literally the only supplement that has been shown to help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast