Neuter/Spay question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neuter/Spay question

2boysandagirl is offline Junior Member

DefaultNeuter/Spay question

I would love opinions on the subject.

I have 16w, brother/sister puppies. I do not have intentions to breed or show either pup. I would like to do the best thing possible for both pups when considering health, bones, etc. I see that most on here prefer a older age (18-24m) before the spay/neuter.

Problems to consider...
    I obviously want to avoid them trying to mate with each other.
    Boy has only one testicle that has dropped (so far).

Do I spay the girl early (at 6ish months) while waiting to see if the testicle drops in the boy (to avoid any possible pregnancy)?
    Do I go ahead and spay/neuter both early (with the boy needing abdominal surgery to remove testicle) to avoid any possible health issues from the testicle?

I guess I am just looking for thoughts on the subject and possibly an explanation as to why you would chose to do it the way you think.

Married 21 years, mom to 5 children, 4 chickens, 2 ducks, and 3 fury Labs!

Surrogate to B/G twins 2007
    Surrogate to baby girl 2011
    Would love to help another family!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Per advice of my breeder and vet I will wait the 18 - 24 months but I don't have the situation you do. Unless you can make absolutely sure an "accident" won't happen you will definitely need to make a decision about this fairly soon. Do you possibly have a family member or know someone one of the dogs could stay with during the heat cycle? Sometimes the 1st heat does not start until well past 6 months but I wouldn't want to take a chance on that. Previously I have neutered all my dogs between 6 - 9 months and have been fortunate that none have suffered any health/bone issues.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

You can get an idea of when the female will come in heat by finding out when the mom did. All of my dogs' first season was between 9-12 months.

If it were me, I would neuter the boy at 8-9 months and let the girl have one heat cycle.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canula2000 View Post
    You can get an idea of when the female will come in heat by finding out when the mom did. All of my dogs' first season was between 9-12 months.

If it were me, I would neuter the boy at 8-9 months and let the girl have one heat cycle.
    I agree. Find out when mom came in the first time. My girls run late, 14-18 months for the first time. If something happens, is there somewhere you can board the boy until the girl is out of season? (4 weeks)

Laura

I will ask their breeder about the timing of moms first heat. Thank you!

As for having a place to board the boy. No, not really. However, you gave me an idea....

I love the breeder and we stay in weekly contact. I have the only 2 pups that came from this litter, so she likes the updates. I am wondering if she may be willing to "share custody" with me for the duration of the first heat. I know it would be super hard to live without either of my pups for a whole month, but maybe a week at a time flip flop??? Does that sound completely crazy??
    I am really just trying to push it as long as I can without a pregnancy or any health problems.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysandagirl View Post
    I will ask their breeder about the timing of moms first heat. Thank you!

As for having a place to board the boy. No, not really. However, you gave me an idea....

I love the breeder and we stay in weekly contact. I have the only 2 pups that came from this litter, so she likes the updates. I am wondering if she may be willing to "share custody" with me for the duration of the first heat. I know it would be super hard to live without either of my pups for a whole month, but maybe a week at a time flip flop??? Does that sound completely crazy??
    I am really just trying to push it as long as I can without a pregnancy or any health problems.
    If the breeder is willing, I'd just leave the male there for the duration. Changing back and forth will be harder on the puppies due to the number of transitions they'd have to make.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    If the breeder is willing, I'd just leave the male there for the duration. Changing back and forth will be harder on the puppies due to the number of transitions they'd have to make.
    That makes perfect sense.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I have always offered to take my pups back for whatever reason, including the boarding of intact puppies. I agree, ask the breeder if she would be willing to take the male for a month (expect to pay a boarding fee.

I am in a similar situation. I have a seven year old brother and sister, and a four month old brother and sister (7 year old female is mom to he pups). I am going to neuter the 7 year old here pretty quick, but will still have to deal with the intact puppies.
    Last edited by Belles mom; 03-16-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    I have always offered to take my pups back for whatever reason, including the boarding of intact puppies. I agree, ask the breeder if she would be willing to take the male for a month (expect to pay a boarding fee.

I am in a similar situation. I have a seven year old brother and sister, and avoid mo th old brother and sister (7 year old female is mom to he pups). I am going to neuter the 7 year old here pretty quick, but will still have to deal with the intact puppies.
    So how were you able to keep them both together during the heat months??? (I realize I may not be saying that quite right) ;-)

It it something I would just have to keep an eye on or would my house be in shambles due to him trying to get to her?? I have zero idea how a male goes about mating with a female, besides the obvious.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

You can easily keep pups in your house when the girl is in season if you are willing to put the work in. They are supervised 200% of the time. Both crated at night, separate potty breaks (one in the front yard first, then one in the back yard next), separate exercise. The girl will probably have to spend ALOT of time in her crate as my experience is that the boys will cry and carry on if they are crated, but are calmer if they can lie outside the crate of the girl. This will last about 3 weeks, and then add 1 more just for good measure.

I would probably nueter the boy around 8-9 months because a testicle inside the body with the internal heat is more likely to become cancerous, and I would want that out sooner than later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast