Omega 3-6-9 supplements....any suggestions?

Thread: Omega 3-6-9 supplements....any suggestions?

Sadiekins is offline Junior Member

DefaultOmega 3-6-9 supplements....any suggestions?

My vet suggested that I start to my senior boy Guinness a fatty acid supplement to help with his skin & coat etc. He's scratching quite a bit lately, which is typical for him this time of year. In the past, I have given him Liquid DermCaps by DVM, which had proven to be effective. However, DVM pharamaceuticals has been closed by the FDA & all products discontinued

I"m wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a similar product. I have seen ads for Grizzly Salmon Oil and Artic Paws Wild Alaska Salmon Oil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I give my girl Java Grizzly Salmon Oil for her joints.
    Best price I have found is here: Pet Meds | Dog Supplies | Pet Supplies | Pet Products | Pet Supply

labby is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't give Omega 6's separately. Most foods have enough O6, but not enough Omega 3, which will cut down on inflammation, etc. Too much O6 can actually cause inflammation.

I give my dogs sardines twice a week during the winter and once a week, depending on if I like how their coats look, during the summer. Buy a can of sardines in water and empty the can on top of the food for one of his meals. Works better than most supplements and is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Labby, I really like that idea. I give human grade fish oil supplement. I just throw the capsule in with the morning meal and they gobble it down with their food.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

Sadiekins is offline Junior Member

Labby, I do currently give him 2 cans of sardines per week. But for some reason, it just doesn't seem to be enough this year. I noticed how dried out his skin & coat were yesterday when I was brushing him. Due to food allergies, he's has been on a salmon based food for years. As I said before, I used to add liquid derm caps to his food as an additional supplement. But, it's no longer on the market. I think maybe I will try the Grizzly Salmon Oil.

labby is offline Senior Member

Don't overdue it either with the oils. You can find yourself having more issues. Is he shedding? You'll notice dandruff and dry coat when they're shedding. Usually ignore it and once all the dead coat is out, then everything will go back to normal.

Laura

Hershey123 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiekins View Post
    My vet suggested that I start to my senior boy Guinness a fatty acid supplement to help with his skin & coat etc. He's scratching quite a bit lately, which is typical for him this time of year. In the past, I have given him Liquid DermCaps by DVM, which had proven to be effective. However, DVM pharamaceuticals has been closed by the FDA & all products discontinued

I"m wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a similar product. I have seen ads for Grizzly Salmon Oil and Artic Paws Wild Alaska Salmon Oil.
    Animal Sense Pet Products Inc

This is a very good product.