To Neuter or Not?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Neuter or Not?

DefaultTo Neuter or Not?

Charlie is 9 months old. Our vet recommended that we wait to neuter him until at least 12-18 months if at all.

Growing up my family had a male Rough Collie that my parents never even considered neutering. Charlie does not have any behaviors thus far that I am seeking to change so other than the obvious of not wanting him to procreate, I don't see why I even need to consider putting him through it.

Would the experienced owners on this forum give me what they believe as the pro's/con's of neutering?

Thanks in advance!
    Suzanne
    "CharlieLabMom"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

I agree with your vet. If you search the forum you will find a lot on neutering. here is one I found(it is old so I wouldnt comment on it) https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...-thoughts.html
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

one shouldn't neuter to "fix" or "curb" any behaviours. Any "issues" that may pop up (marking, dominance, humping) are all training issues. And awesome to hear your vet has researched enough to give you the best advice (waiting until the dog is mature) - most vets recommend 6 months!

There are pros and cons, some health issues are improved by neuter, others are possibly made worse. Some kennels and doggy daycare won't allow dogs that are intact. I find some neutered dogs don't like intact males so some dog-dog interactions can become interesting.

If you feel you can take the appropriate measures to ensure no "accident's" happen then there is nothing wrong with leaving him intact - but it is an extra responsibility. It requires extra precautions.

THis link is to a post from another board but it lists a lot of interesting articles on the topic.

Neutering Articles and Information
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

p1ngputts is offline Member

Logan and Landon were neutered just after 6 months.

Dani is offline Senior Member

You SHOULD neuter...but if you can wait until 12-18 months, that would be better.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Personally I feel neutering young is okay and I have neutered my pet dogs between 7-9 months just about the time they are getting hormonal. I have left two dogs intact for show reasons. I finally had the one neutered at age 5 and the other one is still showing.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

labby is offline Senior Member

Your vet is correct. Wait until 18 months.

When To Spay When To Neuter

Laura

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I believe in neutering but definitely not before 18 months. My vet won't even do a lab before that age and prefers you wait 24 months. He is very firm on this issue and has happily sent patients to other vets that disagree with him and insist on an earlier spay/neuter. It was one of the 1st things he went over with us at our well puppy check during the 1st week we had Maxx.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

I've been researching neutering for a year now. I'd decided to wait at least until 18 months for Bean. He's a great dog, no behavior problems. An occasional "look" in his eye and I tell him not to even think about humping, and he won't.

But...he's recently become very interested in the cat! And while he doesn't run away yet, he certainly has the desire to explore outside the yard. It seems to me that neutering will reduce the frustration he must feel, being unable to do the wild thing. I had considered leaving him intact, but if he's so desperate that the cat looks good, it seems kinda cruel to keep him in a state of frustration.

I don't expect him to become fat and lazy or to obey telepathic commands, but hopefully he'll be less distracted by lustful thoughts and happier overall.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SharonaZamboni View Post
    I've been researching neutering for a year now. I'd decided to wait at least until 18 months for Bean. He's a great dog, no behavior problems. An occasional "look" in his eye and I tell him not to even think about humping, and he won't.

But...he's recently become very interested in the cat! And while he doesn't run away yet, he certainly has the desire to explore outside the yard. It seems to me that neutering will reduce the frustration he must feel, being unable to do the wild thing. I had considered leaving him intact, but if he's so desperate that the cat looks good, it seems kinda cruel to keep him in a state of frustration.

I don't expect him to become fat and lazy or to obey telepathic commands, but hopefully he'll be less distracted by lustful thoughts and happier overall.

Why do you believe neutering will have any impact on how he views the cat? even a neutered dog can have prey drive or have interest in cats/small animals? He isn't looking to breed with the cat - he jsut wants to play with it or chase it.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast