REX

Thread: REX

bett is offline Senior Member

DefaultREX

quick background:Rex my 10 year old yellow boy that i adopted 8 years ago from a family who kept him tied up 24 x7. they also had a 6 month old mastiff tied right next to him so when we got him, he was skinny. i also didn't notice he had one testicle and straight hocks and luxating patellas. got the testicle removed (after they had to dig around in his abdomen for this tissue that tested as test) and the animal medical center in ny confirmed his leg issues. poor breeding, being tied up, who knows but treat him like a dog and don't throw the frisbee too high.Lots of training and he's a good boy. Current issue: high ALT level. He had this before and i gave him 600 mgs. of SAM-E and in months it brought it down to near normal. My vet isn't terribly concerned, as it's the only level elevated and wants him back on the SAM-E. His breath is also a knock down . We had his teeth cleaned, brush nearly daily, tried the probiotics that are kept in the fridge, and blah blah blah. His breath still is horrid and somehow i think that's related to IBS, which he has had episodes of.
    So, my question is, after doing some reading, do you guys think adding a B vitamin may also help lower the ALT?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dexter Dogg is offline Senior Member

I cannot answer the question, but wanted to say I'm glad he now has a better life with you. I hate hearing or seeing dogs tied up 24/7. When I stayed in NM not long ago I saw this dog everyday chained. I just wanted to rescue him.

Thx
    I agree

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Delmonico is offline Senior Member
    Lincoln Newbrassky, just south of the salt flats

I don't know either but I would consider trying a second opinion with a different vet. I have never hesitated to do that with me and would never hesitate to do it with my dog.

A proud member of P.O.O.P. People Offended by Offended People

Them that don't know him won't like him
    And them that do sometimes won't know how to take him
    He ain't wrong, he's just different but his pride won't let him
    Do the things that make you think he's right

Quote Originally Posted by Delmonico View Post
    I don't know either but I would consider trying a second opinion with a different vet. I have never hesitated to do that with me and would never hesitate to do it with my dog.
    i have no hesitation, when the time comes for that , if it does. the weird thing, is it's not all the liver enzyme levels -just this one. that's why he wants me to retry the sam-e for two months before a retest.
    we've been down this road before. could also be dental stuff, cause he has moderate dental disease. but i found that out on my own and will discuss with the vet.
    i added vitamin B to his vitamins and supplements as well, as that also supports the liver.

this is what i found out:sam-e, vitamin b, and add milk thistle.
    Last edited by bett; 03-07-2012 at 03:36 PM.

labby is offline Senior Member

Not concerned so much with the SAM-E, it's one of those could help, can't hurt type of things, but gungy breath can be a sign of kidney issues.

Laura

well, urine was tested and fine. does that mean anything good?