Sick 9yr old lab. Need some help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick 9yr old lab. Need some help

ylomnstr is offline Junior Member

DefaultSick 9yr old lab. Need some help

Hi guys. first time posting here so thanks for a great forum. I have a 9 year old female yellow lab. she'll be 10 in october. She's been a very healthy dog with not many visits to the vet. A week or so ago, she started throwing up a lot. Then she stopped eating and was throwing up more slimy yellow bile. She also stopped drinking. I brought her to the vet on Wednesday. They gave her an IV to give her fluids to help as she hadn't been drinking. they also gave her some medidation to soothe her stomach. They did blood tests and liver and kidney came back OK. xrays came back with no blockage. There was a dark spot, but she said that was gas. She tested positive for anaplasma. They gave me a bunch of meds for her. they told me to give her 20mg over the counter pepcid AC to try and calm her stomach down once a day. then she gave me cerenia to do once a day for 4 days to also try and stop her vomiting. then sucralfate 3 times a day and doxycycline twice a day. so far she's only taken the meds once since we've taken her to the vet. She stopped throwing up since we've taken her to the vet, but still wont eat. she drinks a little each day, but nothing like she used to.

Yesterday she ate some rice and would eat her doggie biscuits, but today she won't eat even that. I spent over $500 to get this diagnosis but I feel like I'm still stuck and not sure what to try next. I need to get her to eat so she'll take the meds. Should I force the meds? They said she should eat with the doxycycline or she may throw it up and that would be useless.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

What are you trying to feed her? I'd be feeding boiled ground beef or chicken with plain white rice until she is improving. No kibble or biscuits which are harder to digest. I'd even add chicken broth to up the appeal and increase the liquid she's getting.

And give her the Pepcid ahead of the meal so her stomach is prepped for the food.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Hi, and I am sorry your girl is so sick. I researched anaplasma and found a lengthy (7 page) article. It is informative and I hope you find it helpful. Here is the link. An update on anaplasmosis in dogs - Veterinary Medicine
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I would agree with what Sharon said. Hopefully the boiled ground beef or chicken and rice will tempt her. The Pepcid should help soothe her belly and maybe giving it an hour or so ahead of trying to feed her would help. I would definitely stay away from the kibble and cookies until she eats the boiled meat and rice for a few days. I sure hope she feels better soon!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

labby is offline Senior Member

When my Kelly was so sick and wouldn't/couldn't eat, my vet recommended watered down baby food. At one point I was even feeding her tiny pieces of bread with honey just to get something into her.

Laura

georgie is offline Senior Member

I am sorry your baby is sick. When my Molly was so sick & would not eat, our vet gave us some special canned food & she did eat that. I am sorry I do not remember the name of it. Good thoughts for your girl.

Thanks for all the replied and concern. So she has only vomited once since going to the Vet on Wednesday and that was last night after I was finally able to get her to eat a few bites of wet chicken and rice dog food. I purchased one of those pill injectors to help me get the pills down her throat. I was able to give her a dose of the doxy last night, but she threw up sometime overnight, so hopefully the pills digested enough and did their work.

This morning I boiled some ground beef and chicken stock and she doesn't want anything to do with it. I did just give her a dose of the doxy again, and I'm hoping she'll keep it down. I know it's supposed to be taken with food, but if she won't eat, I don't know what else to do.

She does drink a tiny bit. And I'm noticing a lot of mucus from her mouth which is something she didn't normally have.

Any other suggestions?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If she not drinking normally she probably needs to go back to the vet, at the very least for some sub-q fluids. Mucous (in vomit or stool) is usually an indicator of inflammation. Not sure what mucous in her mouth means, tho.

I'd get her in for some fluids asap. That's urgent.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I've been dealing with a sick dog, as well. The best way I found for getting him to take his pills (he's on doxycycline as well) is stick them in a small 'clump' of creme cheese (or use the 1/3rd less fat kind). He downs them without hesitation and licks the remainder off my fingers.

Thanks. I heard to try velveta cheese too, so I'll pick some of both up today and try it. The excessive salivating is worrying me now too though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast