TOTW making my dog fat?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TOTW making my dog fat?

greygoose is offline Junior Member

DefaultTOTW making my dog fat?

Ok guys, I have 2 dogs, a 7 year old lab / border collie mix and a 6 month old lab. I recently decided I wanted to try going grain free and switched them both to the TOTW high prairie. Well, it seems that the older one is gaining weight after the food change. The TOTW has more protein and a little more fat, but the overall calories per cup is lower than the canidae I fed them before. Is there something I'm missing? The older dog seems to be hungry all the time even though she is gaining weight. And, we only feed her 1.5-2 cups a day.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

How much exercise is she getting? Older dogs do tend do gain weight faster but my Black lab is also 7 years old and i have to feed him just right so he doesnt go overweight or loose to much weight.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Quote Originally Posted by deidra View Post
    How much exercise is she getting? Older dogs do tend do gain weight faster but my Black lab is also 7 years old and i have to feed him just right so he doesnt go overweight or loose to much weight.
    She gets the same amount of exercise she always has. Catch in the basement almost every day, running in the yard, and when the weather warms up, walks a couple times a week. Nothing has changed in her life except the addition of our puppy and the change in food. And the weight gain has only been noticed in the last few weeks since we went full TOTW (after the mixing process from the old food was over)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

IMO, not nearly enough exercise! Labs and especially BC's need a great deal of exercise. As far as the food, the dog is just utilizing what she has eaten better.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    IMO, not nearly enough exercise! Labs and especially BC's need a great deal of exercise. As far as the food, the dog is just utilizing what she has eaten better.
    Ha, well my apologies, but working six days a week means all the spare time I have is spent with my dogs. That amount of exercise has always been acceptable so I'm not to worried about it.

Thanks for the thoughts on the food. That could be a good possibility.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I also have a lab/border collie mix and a lab puppy and I would be in trouble if that is the extent of the exercise my 2 got. I understand working, I work 40+ hours a week, drive an hour each way, am currently taking care of my daughter who was badly injured in a car accident and my FIL who is dying from cancer. I do have a tech from my vet office that helps with the dogs, coming over at lunch time and spending 45 minutes playing with them but we have to make the rest of the time to make sure both dogs get the exercise they need.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

So the general consensus is that she has gained weight from me being a bad parent and the food change had nothing to do with it? Thanks for the help. I guess I'll look else where for my answers from now on.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Add green beans, cut back a little more on the food. Green beans are generally well liked and very very low calories, so add bulk helping her feel full without contributing to the weight problem.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
    So the general consensus is that she has gained weight from me being a bad parent and the food change had nothing to do with it? Thanks for the help. I guess I'll look else where for my answers from now on.
    I would have to say it is the food since you only noticed the change after switching brands. TOTW is a high quality food, your dog is simply retaining a lot more of its benefits & pooping out less.

The same happened with my dog. I recently changed his food from Purina ProPlan - some boast about this food so I won't bash it, but it simply did not work for my Diesel. He was pooping like 6-7 times a day & poops were never solid; his coat was dull; kept getting ear infections; and was a frequent vomitter.

I switched him to Acana -- I was choosing between this & TOTW, the store simply had Acana in stock in the size I wanted so I went for Acana & it's worked wonders for us. The results.... poops 3-4 times a day, always solid; higher energy; shiny coat; sparkling eyes; no ear infections or vomitting in the last almost 2 months -- record for him. But he put on weight in the beginning so I had to up his exercise so he can utilize the good stuff the new food gives him.

I think the comments about the amount of exercise is that you say "catch almost everyday... running in the yard... walks when the weather warms up" Labs are high energy dogs, BCs even more so. It may have worked for you in the past, but now you need to step it up. Regardless of temperature outside you have a committment to this dog, so bundle up & take her for a walk everyday; how long/hard is she running in the yard?; ingrain the game of catch in your schedule to make sure it is everyday, it's a great game to bond with your dog, gives her exercise & some mental stimulation. Basically, if she isn't panting by the time she's done exercising, she's not getting enough. No need to think anyone is accusing you of bad parenting, you asked for input & people are giving you their opinions.

Starsowner is offline Senior Member

I was going to say, with a higher quality kibble, you don't need to feed as much? Do you free feed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast