Food question

Thread: Food question

romeoeo is offline Junior Member

DefaultFood question

Hello! While I've been a lurker on this forum for a while, I decided to join today to ask all of you your opinion on food (since there aren't enough threads over this already). My lab, Romeo, is a 6 year old neutered male. He has always been in pretty good health since I rescued him off the streets 4 years ago- I get compliments from people all the time on how good he looks. He is, however, incredibly itchy at times. The two times it got really bad, my vet prescribed a steriod for him- and I'm never letting him on steroids again, if I can help it. He literally goes off his rocker when he is on them. The most recent problem I've had with him is that he has had a staph infection appear on his skin twice since November. He was given a short round of antibiotics the first time, and a longer round the second time. I also now have a medicated shampoo for him that I use about once every two weeks. He also seems to have developed a yeast infection in one of his ears. I don't know if that's related to the antibiotics (as women can get yeast infections from taking them) or if it's something else.

He has been eating Taste of the Wild for a couple of years now, and he is currently on the Pacific Stream formula. I've had problems in the past with him not being interested in his food at all, but he has never done anything but gulp the salmon TOTW- until the last week or so. In the mornings I have to literally beg him to eat, and he acts like it's the most offensive thing ever. He hasn't been eating all of his breakfast, either. He has also started having horrible, frequent gas. The last two nights I have woken up to the sound of him panting hard, and I've gotten up and let him outside, where he will run to his toilet spot. I didn't see him this morning, but the morning before that, he crouched in the "poop position" for about 5 minutes. It was too dark and he was too far away to see what was coming out. I also discovered a spot outside this morning where he had thrown up either yesterday or the day before.

Anyway, I just bought a new bag of TOTW earlier this week, but now I'm wondering if I should return it and try something else. Alternatively, I do have canned pumpkin; should I try that and see if it straightens out his stomach issues? Or yogurt? He has no problem eating in the evenings, it's just in the mornings when his stomach seems to be going nuts.

If I do switch, I am thinking about either switching to Diamond Naturals or to Pro Plan Sensitive. I can get the latter for about half what it normally costs since I work at a vet school, and I've read pretty good things about it on here.

Thoughts? Opinions? Thank you in advance! Also, my name is Kristin, and I'm glad this place exists!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Sounds to me like you may have a bad bag of food.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Well, I am at the end of this bag, and it just started happening. He has been eating from this bag since January.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

And by that I mean, I have had this food since mid January and kept it stored, not that I've been feeding it to him out of an open bag somewhere.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum, Kristin! It sounds like you were initially having problems like our Sophie had. She has allergies, and had to be on antibiotics for repeated ear infections and skin infections. She has been on TOTW Pacific Stream since she was 4 months old. She has done great on it. Pumpkin and yogurt are good, and it won't hurt to give some. The pumpkin will make the poop the correct consistancy whether it is loose stools or hard ones. Just make sure it is the pure pumpkin and not the pumpkin pie mix. Yogurt is soothing to the stomach, get the plain with no sugar added kind. Personally, I would be getting a vet check. A sudden onset of gastric issues that doesn't resolve in a couple of days could be an indication of something more serious going on.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Thank you for the welcome, Pam! I think I will get him some yogurt tonight and see if that helps him. What amount of pumpkin is good to give? I gave him yogurt for a little while, and I think I was giving him a tablespoon at night.