Question about Temperamant with Children

Thread: Question about Temperamant with Children

johnc847 is offline Junior Member

DefaultQuestion about Temperamant with Children

I apologize if this is the wrong section, but I'd like some opinions if you don't mind. I have a lab that is 2 yrs old. I've had him since he was 6 weeks. He's hyper so I asked my vet if there's anything I can give him to calm him down, they told me it would be okay to give him benadryl. My dog has always been great around my daughter which is 4. When we tried giving him benadryl, he was sleeping in the floor after we played fetch. My daughter, which was 3 at the time, went up to him to pet him and kind of layed on him. He acted spooked and nipped at her. It didn't break the skin, but you could see where his teeth got her. He immediately knew he had done wrong and hung his ears low. Since then, I've kept him outside a lot. I'm wanting to bring him back in and actually get in some private training classes with him. However, I still have a fear inside that he may bight her, but I also think it may have been because we gave him the benadryl and could've been in a heavy sleep or something.

I'd like to get some opinions from everyone. Could it have just been the benadryl? He has always been fine and playful with our daughter. Since this happened, when my daughter does go up to him, he seems extra careful and easy with her now.

Do you think it was due to the benadryl and a one time thing, or should I start looking for him a good home without kids?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

get a new vet and stop medicating a dog for being a dog. labs are a sport dog which need daily exercise and mental stimulation. any vet that ok's use of drugs to calm a normal dog should be avoided - it's ridiculius. In fact, it is beyond ridiculous.

YES, he was probably off due to the drug and very sleepy amd suddenly had something get on him (jump or fall on him? how gentle did she get on him?) he just reacted . i think it is undair he is being punished like this.

how long has he been outside? and why - that isn't helping anything and is completely unfair. bring him indoors. today.

how much exercise is he getting? daily? have you done any training? Alot of dogs need to "learn" to settle once indoor.

get a trainer in the house now. get one that uses positive reinforcement primarily. ine that can evaluate yiur dog and make you feel comfortable.

actually - first get him to the vet (another vet) for a full physical to see if there are any health issue - maybe he is sore or in pain.

IF you rehome him please contact a rescue that can do home visits and reference check
    Last edited by Tanya; 02-20-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

deidra is offline Senior Member

I agree with Tanya! The dog was spooked and did what a dog would do!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

If your children get hyper would you drug them too ?

Sounds as though he was scared while asleep ! I would probably be very grouchy too if somebody lay on me while I was asleep !

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Wow. I'm sorry for your dog. I had small children with a large-ish dog and despite the fact that Labs may appear to be impervious to pain, they are not. You have to carefully monitor the interactions between a toddler/small child and any dog. Partially to protect the child and partially to protect the dog.

You really need to address this immediately using the advice Tanya gave you above or just contact a rescue and rehome him. It is highly unfair and wrong headed to toss him outside due to what (IMO) was a parenting lapse on your part.

ETA - if your vet actually recommended you drug this dog to control his normal Lab behavior he is an absolute moron and should be in a different business.
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 02-20-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labby is offline Senior Member

Frankly, your daughter was at fault. When the dog is sleeping or eating he's off limits. No excuses. She startled him.

Yes, the benedryl could have made him dopey, but you need to teach your daughter dog basics.
    Rules for Kids and dogs

Laura

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

I agree with all of the responses so far. Poor dog, he was just being a dog. Labby's post with Rules For Kids is excellent. Every household with kids and dogs should have that plastered on the fridge. Most people are very quick to place blame on the dog, when probably more often than not it's the human's ( or in your case, kid's ) fault. I am glad your daughter did not get injured. But I feel bad for your dog. Bring him inside asap! Just be sure to supervise. And definetly get some training going on. Good luck, and I hope it works out!

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

You have gotten some really good advice here. I feel sad for your poor dog. I can't imagine drugging a dog to "calm" him down. Benadryl is the main ingredient in most over the counter sleep medications. Have you ever taken them? They knock you out and leave you very fuzzy when you wake up. So, you drug your dog, are surprized when he reacted when woken suddenly, and then you reward him for not actually biting your child by tossing him outside! Labs have lots of energy. If he is hyper in the house, it is your fault not his, for not exercising him enough. I'd be changing vets. I can't imagine a quality vet telling you to drug a dog instead of exercising him. I am sorry of I sound harsh. I don't mean to. How long have you been giving him the benadryl?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

coley235 is offline Member

Over the top impressed with all the responses. I agree 110%!