Logan may have a kidney disease/problems
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Logan may have a kidney disease/problems

p1ngputts is offline Member

DefaultLogan may have a kidney disease/problems

My fiance and I have noticed that our 9 month old has been going to the bathroom every 15-30 minutes. We started getting concerned when he was around 7 months and started to take some action. His urinalysis results came back with a high white blood cell count and blood in his urine, and very, very diluted. We thought maybe a UTI or something. He was put on antibiotics and they did not work (cephalexin, then clavamox). He then had an X-ray which came back negative. Following that was an ultrasound that came back negative. Lastly, today the blood work came back negative. We are planning on doing the next recommended test, which I believe is some type of dye test.

The vet believes, as well as us, that he definitely has a kidney problem. His bladder is filling to it's fullest within 30 minutes regardless how much water he drinks. Basically, he is urinating everything he is consuming within a short time, not allowing the kidneys to do their job.

Has anyone else experienced a problem or symptoms like this? If the next test doesn't show a result, the vet believes he may have chronic kidney disease, or some type of major problem, eventually leading to kidney failure. However, the vet said a possibility is that he doesn't have some type of hormone that can cause this, and a daily pill would be the cure. But, that idea isn't being looked at right now. They think it's more serious.

I may have missed some of his story, but that is everything in a nutshell. Also, I don't want to get into the breeder or anything other than possible diagnosis/help. I am in contact with the breeder and no other dogs in Logan's litter have any urination problems.

Logan has no other problems except for his urination. His growth has been stunted a little bit from this, but he may still have that growth spurt since he is only 9 months old.

Thanks in advance.

P1ngutts

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Poor Logan! Poor boy! Is the vet planning an ultra sound? It will show soft tissue problems that xrays don't. I have read posts on this site from members whose dogs have kidney issues. Try a search and see if you can find some more info. We will hold good thoughts for Logan and pray for a quick recovery.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

The ultrasound came back showing no problems. I was hoping it would find something, anything.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

You said he had a high white count and and blood in the urine. Does he still have it? Did the antibiotics take care of it? You said he pees about every 30 minutes...have you observed how much he goes each time?
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

deidra is offline Senior Member

No advice just good thoughts for Logan!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

I found this site that might give you some idea of what may be going on.

Dog Frequent Urination
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    You said he had a high white count and and blood in the urine. Does he still have it? Did the antibiotics take care of it? You said he pees about every 30 minutes...have you observed how much he goes each time?
    Every urinalysis done (4) has come back the same, even after 2 different antibiotics. As for peeing, he urinates for probably 6-10 seconds every time.

Frequent urination isn't always about the kidneys. It could be many things, including diabetes, liver disease, or adrenal disease. I would get a second opinion if you don't get answers soon. With the stunted growth, I would ask the vet about adrenal disorders. Where are you located?
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Logan is adorable. I hope you get some answers soon. Please let us know how he is doing.

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by p1ngputts View Post
    His urinalysis results came back with a high white blood cell count and blood in his urine, and very, very diluted. We thought maybe a UTI or something. He was put on antibiotics and they did not work (cephalexin, then clavamox). He then had an X-ray which came back negative. Following that was an ultrasound that came back negative. Lastly, today the blood work came back negative.
    You are sure his BUN and creatinine levels are completely normal? If those were abnormally high, or even to the high side of normal, I would suggest juvenile renal dysplasia, but that is highly unlikely if those levels are normal. Those levels would usually be checked as part of a blood chemistry panel. I had a puppy with JRD, his was genetic in origin, there is a DNA test for it by
    DOGenes - Genetic Testing and Research for Dogs

Originally, my vet thought my puppy had diabetes insipidus, your vet has looked into it?

Does he still have a high white cell count in his urine? If he still has the white cells then I think a culture and sensitivity panel should be done to see if maybe it is just a UTI with antibiotic resistant bacteria.

I agree with the idea to get a second opinion. Take him to a university veterinary teaching hospital if at all possible.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast