Trifexis?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trifexis?

CincyTriGuy is offline Junior Member

DefaultTrifexis?

We have an 8 month old lab, Charlie, which is our first dog. Our vet is telling us that he needs Trifexis and that he should take it throughout his entire life. Is this accurate or is the vet just trying to sell us expensive preventative medicine? I've asked a few dog owning friends about it and no one seems to have heard of it. If it's such an important medicine that all dogs need, as my vet is telling me, I'm surprised so many of my friends haven't heard of it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

What exactly is your vet saying is wrong? I've never heard of that drug. I would definitely get a second opinion.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

It is a prevention for heartworm. Just a different brand. Also suppose to kill fleas. Lots of people have their dogs on heartworm prevention and most consider it a good idea. My previous dog was on a different brand but she was on a heartworm prevention medication.

I found this ad for trifexix.....

Trifexis Flea Heartworm Chewable For Dogs
    Trifexis is an exciting new product that combines two popular ingredients found in similar meds. Spinosad, a flea control ingredient also found in the comfortis flea pill and milbemycin oxime, the heartworm preventative found in sentinel. Trifexis for dogs also controls adult hookworm, roundworm and whipworm infections too. Trifexis is a prescription product med because it contains a heartworm preventative, which like all heartworm medication requires an annual check up and prescription from your veterinarian. Shoppers should be wary of any online pharmacy - foreign or domestic - that does not require a prescription to buy heartworm meds. Side effects are possible so you will want to visit with your veterinarian regarding potential adverse reactions before deciding if it is the right medication for your specific dog. Trifexis prices can be high cost, but you can buy online and save, we've found discount prices to help make trifexis more affordable.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

There are good and bad reviews about Trifexis. Here's the link to customer reviews on petmeds...
    1800petmeds® - Trifexis customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

2LabsMom is offline Member

We give trifexis to our 2 dogs, we have had no problems with it but as with any medication follow the directions. Yes it is expensive but when you compare the flea med and heartworm it really isn't as pricey as it feel initially. I purchased it from the vet twice but now it is at my local animal rescue places for about 20 bucks less so that is where I buy it. It's all relative to what you like and need based on your risk factors where you live in my opinion. We are in Florida so this is a great option...I for one HATE the feel of greasy fur on my pups so I love that I no longer have to put anything topical on them. You can also look into petsupermarket if you have one they have the mobile clinics which also sell it at a discounted price. FWIW

Forever in our hearts Jake

bett is offline Senior Member

you must trust your vet, same as you would trust your own dr.
    did you ask what the medicine is for?
    most dogs (depending on where you live) are on heart worm meds.
    if you ever saw a dog who developed heart worm, i have no doubt that you would use something.
    in ny, where i am, my dogs are on it all year round.

Aimee is offline Senior Member

It's a flea/heartworm medication. Where I live dogs need to be on HW meds year round - and fleas never go away here either. My 3 dogs have been on Trifexis for over a year now with no problems.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I have a friend whose Lab became extremely ill on it. I personally prefer to minimally treat my dogs. I give heartworm meds as recommended, but treat for fleas/ticks if/when they are a problem. Topicals work fine for that.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Nutshell is offline Member

We give this to Rocco. No issues thus far.

Gemma60538 is offline Junior Member

PLEASE do not give Trifexis!!! I gave Jax one dose when he was a year and a half and within a few hours he was lethargic and would not eat. His appetite did not return for DAYS! When my breeder/friend saw my post about it she called me ASAP and told me to go to the vet and insist on blood and urine tests. The tests came back ok but there are hundreds of stories of dogs with deadly reactions to this drug and it is something to do with the combo of both of the drugs. She said a friend of hers had a dog who nearly died because his counts went so far out of whack...and this is a very normal and very logical person. PLEASE do the research. Vets are in denial that it is harmful so you probably won't get very far with your vet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast