Neuturing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neuturing

kb7kuh is offline Member

DefaultNeuturing

I just have to ask all you lab owners a question. We just had our 6 month old lab neutered and we were told he has to take it easy for 10 days. Well, the next day he was acting like nothing happened. Wanting to play with his toys, run, jump, and pretty much act normal.

Has anybody else run across this? I called the vet, and he said to come get some drugs to calm him down. After 1/2 a pill, he is still wanting to play and bringing me his toys! Tonight I am going to put his toys away, and see if that helps.

Don

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

That's pretty normal. You could try some Benedryl to quiet him down. You could also keep him leashed to you so he can't run around for a few days.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

kb7kuh is offline Member

I took all his toys and put them away. I did leave his bone out. So far, it seems to be working.

We will see how it goes.

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

it's normal but very important to keep them calm by any means you can! even if it means keeping him on leash in the house when you are home
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I had NO luck keeping mine quiet after his neutering. I did take him for more walks and tried to keep him from going all out crazy, but he was very young and fresh from the rescue at the time. Luckily he healed up okay anyway.
    Good luck with your boy

nicole is offline Senior Member

Crate.

kb7kuh is offline Member

We have not had any luck keeping him in the kennel from day one. He will bark, whine, pee, and poo if left in the kennel. His water and food are in there, but he does not like it.

If we leave him alone, or are out of sight for even 5 minutes he has a fit! It's like we left him all alone for hours. We did have to kennel him at the vet to make a 1 day trip out of town. They said he was OK. After he was neutered, when he came out of it, they had to separate him due to barking.

We feel trapped not being able to leave him home alone. Any suggestions?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You really have to train him for the crate. If you always give in to his bad behavior when he's in the crate, he is basically training you. There is plenty of info on here about training a dog to a crate. It'll just be harder now that he's older.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Sharon is right. It gets harder when they are older. I like mine crate trained so if they need to be over night at the vet or any other need for a crate they go to it without too much stress....preferrably none at all.

Erns was 3.5 and hated the crate, but slowly getting him in high value treats and not shutting the door until he felt relaxed, then shutting it for a few moments. As soon as he became stressed I let him out or sat in it with him. Took about a week and his crate is his "man cave" where he goes to relax.

Tessa was 5 when I got her last year and she has only just started going to it herself. I sit in it with her or beside her if the door is closed. She came from a bad home so who knows what happened so don't push it.

With a pup it shouldn't take too long with patience treats, and making it a fun place. At first I never use the crate for punishment. I used the laundry. Now Erns knows when I say "crate" he scuttles to it as he knows he is in big trouble.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    You really have to train him for the crate. If you always give in to his bad behavior when he's in the crate, he is basically training you. There is plenty of info on here about training a dog to a crate. It'll just be harder now that he's older.
    ^^^^This.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast