Just realized my puppy has random scabs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just realized my puppy has random scabs?

Alex is offline Member

DefaultJust realized my puppy has random scabs?

Hey all, I just had a look at my 4 month old Labby's tummy and saw he has several round penny sized scabs on his belly near his genitals... it seems to be concentrated there, but he has a few spots on random parts on the stomach and a little up his sides... they dont hurt him and arent puppy or anything, some are full scabs, and others he's clearly ripped the scabs off by lying on his stomach... No food change recently and he has some, but not a lot of fleas... Anyone ever had this, i kind of want to avoid the vet, because ive been so many times in the past 2 months and just cant afford it right now, but will go if i have too... But yeah, anyone had this? Or and advice would be really appreciated, it 7pm here so i cant phone a vet right now...

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Alex is offline Member

I found some medicine the vet gave me just over a month ago for itching, im not sure if its anti biotics or what, but he told me to stop giving it to him as he put him on another medication and didnt want any adverse reactions to occur... so should i maybe just put him on his previously prescribed dose of that and just treat the scabs with antibacterial creme?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't do anything without talking to a vet personally. First try calling the vet to see if they can give you somethign to try without going in. Trying to self medicate can make the issue worse.

Could they be due to bites of bugs or something?

Why was he given a cream for itching? does he have a skin problem? What was the other medication for?

ESPECIALLY if he has had other health issues and is so young I would hesitate to try and deal with this without professional input.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

You said "not a lot of fleas" ... with many dogs even 1 flea is too many. Our Sophie is super allergic to fleas. If you google flea allergy dermatitis, you can see what fleas do to some dogs. We have Sophie on Comfortis. It is an oral flea med. She used to have scabs, but we changed her food to grain free and put her on the flea stuff. Also we sprayed our house twice. What is the name of the medication you found? Even though you have not changed foods, a dog can develop an allergy to it at any time. Sophie was fine on her food till about 3 months, and then the problem started. The vet told me that the #1 culprits for dog allergies are fleas, chicken and grains. Allergic dogs will often get ear infections, so look in the ears for redness or bumpiness.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Google ringworm and see if that's what it looks like.

bett is offline Senior Member

i'd let the vet look. and get rid of the fleas for starters . and i don't use meds from previous stuff unless i KNOW exactly what it's for and what he has.

Alex is offline Member

Thanks for the reply's everyone...

I had a good inspection when he fell asleep, i cant find any fleas, but what i did find is a lot of scabs where he has been scratching on his chest... So I did some more research, I think its best to just take him in to the vets and get a professional opinion

TANYA - thanks for your answer as well, he wasnt given creme for itching, its some kind of tablet, maybe an antihistamine or something, it was given to him because when i got him he had a flea rash, just to stop his itching while the flea meds kicked in... But then he was taken off that because he developed Coccidia (poor guy) and the vet said that i mustn't use both meds at the same time... Ill let you guys know what the vet says

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Alex, sometimes fleas are fast little critters and you miss seeing them. Take a paper towel, wet it and rub above his tail where it attaches to his back. If you see brown or reddish on the towel, that is flea dirt and he has fleas.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Alex is offline Member

Thanks everyone... the vet said it isnt fleas, he is allergic to something, thats causing a rash and itchiness and when he scratches, it opens it up to bacteria and its a whole vicious cycle... He gave him a few injections and some antibiotics, some other pills and a medicinal shampoo... and now im broke... But hopefully this should help, he also said most dogs his age grow an immunity to whatever it is that theyre allergic to..

Samson is offline Senior Member

Your dog doesn't need to have fleas to develop a flea allergy !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast