rock hard growth

Thread: rock hard growth

wskline is offline Member

Defaultrock hard growth

My 9 year old lab had what seemed to be fatty tumor on his side,noticed it 3 weeks ago. Well last week, it was little larger and hard so I called to make an appointment at vet. Meanwhile over weekend I noticed lump was color of bruising then as weekend went on, bruising spread below the growth. Vet looked at and has no clue, tried to take a needle biopsy but all he got was blood so cant do biopsy at this time. Said could be trauma that got infected or even cancer that got infected but at this point, don't know. Put Cooper on an antibiotic and we are to watch area. If gets larger or gets worse, we are to take him back. I'm little frustrated at this point and not sure what to do or think. Anyone experience this with thier dog?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I would see another vet asap!

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I agree with getting a second opinion if you are worried.

My dog recently had a rock hard growth under his arm that I was convinced was a tumor. My husband took him to the vet, and came home with antibiotics and anti-bacterial wipes. They didn't even attempt a biopsy, and I was irate. Did I mention that I was convinced that it was a tumor? I agreed to do the antibiotics and wipes for a week, and it did get better. It has been about 2.5 weeks now, and it is completely gone. I think it's possible that it could be an infection, but given the dog's age I would get a second opinion if you are worried.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It's possible that Cooper got hit there but dont know for sure. We do know the other dog gets kinda rough with him sometimes and has been known to knock him off his feet. My husband was upset with vet when we left because all he did was give us antibiotics and doesnt really want to do anything. I think it's wait and see thing with my vet. I'm little nervous and guess not satisfied with vet visit. I also am afraid to get 2nd opinion and hurt my vets feelings but My Coop is so much more important.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by wskline View Post
    It's possible that Cooper got hit there but dont know for sure. We do know the other dog gets kinda rough with him sometimes and has been known to knock him off his feet. My husband was upset with vet when we left because all he did was give us antibiotics and doesnt really want to do anything. I think it's wait and see thing with my vet. I'm little nervous and guess not satisfied with vet visit. I also am afraid to get 2nd opinion and hurt my vets feelings but My Coop is so much more important.
    If you weren't satisfied, I would get a second opinion or call your vet and discuss it further. The last thing I would worry about is hurting the vet's feelings, Cooper is much more important.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Did the lump come on suddenly? My 12 yr old that we lost last May had several fatty tumors. None had any bruising that we know of. Does it seem sore when you touch it? I think I'd try getting a second opinion, or just try the antibiotics for a week and see if you notice a difference.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

I noticed the lump there like 3 weeks ago and decided to just watch it but then last week, it seemed to have gotten hard so i called and made appt with vet. Over weekend I noticed it was color of bruising and he didnt want us touching it so I'm assuming it was sore. Then I noticed bruising had travled below the mass. I may just wait to see what it looks like tomorrow and if no improvement, will call vet again or call for second opinion.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Please let us know what you find out. Good luck!

I decided to give it day or two and looks like growth is getting smaller and bruising isnt as bad. If it doesn't completely go away by next week, will take back to vet and see if he can get a needle biopsy to make sure not cancer.