Puppy breathing concerns

Thread: Puppy breathing concerns

hugo010 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy breathing concerns

Hello all...a new lab mix owner here. So glad I found this site! I have so many questions but I think this is the biggest one for right now. Our new addition to the family seems to be more relaxed when outdoors. He is playful and seems to be at ease. But as soon as he comes indoors or is picked up, his breathing becomes more rapid. The labored breathing is even more prevalent when he's sleeping. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

How old is your pup?

What was his situation before you got him?

Can you more accurately describe the breathing sound?

Are there any other behavioral signs of distress?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

He is just entering his 8th week. We've already visited the Vets for his first battery of shots. He had worms and an ear infection that we're now treating. We got him from my co-worker and as I far as I understand it, the pup came into the world outdoors and remained so with his siblings and mother. Behavior wise, he seems more at ease while outdoors. He plays energetically and is curious about everything. He plays his version of fetch and you'd think he was so much older. But while indoors, his breathing seems shallow...quick huffs is the best way I can describe it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I am not a vet (nor do I play one on T.V......(referencing a t.v.commercial of yesteryear), but if he is showing the breathing signs only indoors, and this is a new experience, I would not be too concerned. If your vet did not hear anything during the puppy examination, I think the breathing issue is situation related (don't stress over it).

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I agree with Karen. It could be nerves from the new experience of being indoors. Since your pup had an ear infection, watch him for allergies. Often food allergies and airborne allergies can trigger ear infections. Be sure to post pictures! We love loads of pictures!!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Thank you so much for the feedback! I'm relieved to hear this may simply be the effects of his transition from being largely independent to now having to deal with a new environment. But, I will keep track of his health issues and keep a running dialogue with his Vet. As for pictures, as soon as I figure out how to post them...I will do so in earnest! Thanks again!

deidra is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hugo010 View Post
    Thank you so much for the feedback! I'm relieved to hear this may simply be the effects of his transition from being largely independent to now having to deal with a new environment. But, I will keep track of his health issues and keep a running dialogue with his Vet. As for pictures, as soon as I figure out how to post them...I will do so in earnest! Thanks again!
    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...otobucket.html I agree with all of the above
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.