Help with Sadie

Thread: Help with Sadie

bigbrownsmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelp with Sadie

I have a two year old lab who has an ear infection and goopy eyes. My vet recommended I put her on Purina Pro Plan for sensitive skin. Well that has cleared up those issues, but her skin was so itchy and dry. So I switched her to Natures Recipe with Venison and Rice. That has made her have terrible diarrehea. Can anybody recommend anything? I have a ten year old lab who could eat anything and never had any of the typical lab issues, so this is all new for me. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Did you switch her cold turkey or gradually? The new food may be too rich for her. Skin can be dealt with by using fish oil in their food. Was she OK on the Pro Plan otherwise?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I did do it gradually, but not sure I did it long enough. I only mixed the two for about 4 days. The pro plan was fine except for the skin.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

Our vet told us to do it over a two week period, perhaps the 4 day change was too fast for her tummy. Also someone mentioned adding Bragg's vinegar to their water to help with the dry skin. I think they said you can break into 1 & 1/2 teaspoons twice a day if the dog doesn't care for the taste. So of course I wouldn't do this until you have her tummy issues settled down. Best to you and Sadie!
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Yep - way too quick. You can get another bag of the old food and mix them together for a slower transition or just wait it out and see if she improves.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Or if you don't want to go and get another whole new bag if the old food, give her boiled chicken and rice for a few days to help stop the diarhea and then gradually ease her from the chicken and rice back to the new food. But do it alot slower this time round.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Venison is very low in fat so I don't see the food being too rich. Seems to me it is more of switching too quickly.

The ACV goes directly in the meal with water added. You can put it in the water bowl but does your dog drink the entire bowl daily? I prefer putting it in the food. 1 tbsp in p.m. meal or 1 1/2 tspn in a.m. and again in p.m. meal.

Works great for dry flakey skin.

i am sure this topic is addressed a thousand times on here somewhere, so i just wanted to thank everybody for their help. we are doing boiled chicken and rice and then will introduce the food slowly and over a longer period. and will look for the vinegar. thanks again.