Rescue Black Lab Indy needs help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescue Black Lab Indy needs help

Kevo is offline Junior Member

DefaultRescue Black Lab Indy needs help

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum because I just got a lab tonight. I am a foster for dogs for friends/family, don't do alot of them. I got a real rescue today, named Indy. He is a 8 month old sad little boy. He is under fed and water I think. When we pulled him from the yard, well carried cause he was scared, I didn't see even a water bowl. He tips the scales at only 29 lbs. I brought him home and gave him water first. Then I gave him a cup of kibble w/ lil bit of canned taste of the wild I got from my sister in law. I was wondering what you guys suggest to get him back to a healthy size that he should be. As tall as he is, I would guess he should weight at least 50lbs.

033.jpg034.jpg035.jpg

Thanks for all your help

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

He looks like my Tank did when I got him but a little skinnier. I would take him to the vet to make sure he is healthy besides being underweight. I would get his stomach used to food again. SO as much as you just want to feed them and feed them more. don't,I would feed him I cup in the morning one in the evening and one in the after noon for awhile. then after about two week so two cups in the morning and two cups in the afternoon.

thats what I did with tank plus he got high calorie treats. I would also talk to your vet about what you want to do since every dogs is different.

Good luck and think you for taking him in!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Poor Indy, these stories are so hard to hear. Thank goodness you have him! Deidra gave you good advice. A vet trip is needed, and be sure to get a high quality food. Don't over feed him. Steady and consistant feedings will make a difference pretty fast. Poor boy boy, he is thin! Our labby weighed 70 lbs at 8 months. She's about 75 now at 9 mo. she is a lean built dog, but still weighs in 2 1/2 times what poor Indy weighs. Are those people going to be prosecuted?
    Last edited by Sophiesmama; 01-28-2012 at 06:53 AM.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

That's an emaciated dog. He needs to see a vet stat and have a thorough exam including a blood panel if you can swing it. He should also be fed very small meals every six hours until his stomach can tolerate a larger amount of food, about 7 days. Then I'd go to 3 meals then 2 eventually. Do feed a quality food but I would not go super premium as it may be much too rich for his system now.

Thanks for rescuing him. I hope his "owners" pay a price for this extreme neglect.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

are you working with a rescue or on your own?

He needs to go to a vet ASAP. he could have worms and many other issues.

Start feeding more small meals in a day, if you go too fast in feeding him it could cause issues. So more smaller meals rather than fewer big meals (3-4 times a day). Get a food that is calorie dense, so they get more bang for their buck.

what do you mean foster for friends and family? do you mean dog sit?

ETA: depending where you live and if he over 6mts he also need to be tested for heart worms.
    Last edited by Tanya; 01-28-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

bett is offline Senior Member

and bring along a fecal sample.

Thank you everyone, Indy is getting treated just like you are suggesting. He gets fed a cup each meal and gets them about every 5-6 hours, he has a vet appointment monday morning with a heads up to the doctor. I am on my own right now, I have fostered dogs b4, but Indy is the worst I have ever gotten. He is on Diamond Puppy, what do you think about that for him. My other foster is on taste of the wild but I don't want to use that on him, Cali, my husky has that because of her picky digestion system.

Thanks again guys for all your help, I got my first help from a husky forum I was already on, then I found you guys and thought I would get lab people's opinions also

Vet visit went GREAT! Check up, shots, and even dispasia xray check and passed with flying colors. he has slightly "bent" tibia (i think he said) rear lower bone in his legs.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Glad you went to the vet. Diamond puppy is really good for him. Feed him 4 times a day and add some plain greek yogurt to it. You could also make up a bunch of satin balls and feed him a couple once a day. (Holistic Dog - Satinballs Satin Balls) They were what we used to help fatten up all three of our emaciated dogs that came through our rescue. Go easy, just know that food is going to send his tummy into a little bit of lurch so he may have the skids for a few days. Good luck!
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Yeah, he is having a big case of diarreha since he is getting food and water for first time in a long time. We are making satin balls for him to try, should we wait to give that to him after the diarreha or go ahead and give it? Someone suggested giving him a little bit of pumpkin to put in with food, what do you guys think of that?

Thanks for all your guys' help with him, he is such a great dog and deserves to show there are people who care for him even though his first few didn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast