Lepto vaccine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lepto vaccine

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultLepto vaccine

I have been worried about lepto. I keep reading about people who's dogs get this and die from liver failure. I have read negative comments about the vaccine. What do you guys think? I was researching vaccinations and found this:

Vaccination and Prevention

Prevention involves keeping animals out of contact with potential sources of infection including contaminated water sources, wildlife reservoirs, or domestic animals that are infected or chronic carriers. Humans can contract leptospirosis and any potentially infected animal should be handled very carefully to avoid human exposure.

There are currently many different vaccines available on the market for a wide variety of species and serovars. The ones currently available for dogs are chemically inactivated (killed) whole culture vaccine, which unfortunately, make them much more likely to cause vaccine reactions as opposed to most viral vaccines. Leptospiral vaccines are blamed for many of the vaccine reactions we see in dogs. Until the beginning of the year 2000, leptospiral vaccines only protected against L. canicola and L. icterohaemorrhagiae. A new vaccine by Fort Dodge now also protects against the serovars L. grippotyphosa and L. pomona. Due to the low infection rate in cats, there are currently no vaccines available for them.

Leptospiral vaccines for dogs offer about 6 to 8 months of protection. Dogs that are at high risk of contracting Leptospiral infections should be vaccinated twice a year. Vaccine manufacturers generally recommend that puppies less than 8 weeks of age should not be vaccinated with vaccines containing Leptospira. Many veterinarians recommend waiting until 12-16 weeks of age for the first vaccination against Leptospira. If Leptospiral vaccines are used, the animal should receive two to three doses of the vaccine spaced several weeks apart. Be sure to follow the recommendations of the vaccine manufacturer and your veterinarian. Because of the lack of cross protection between strains, the high incidence of reactions, and the need for frequent vaccination many veterinarians have begun to recommend leptospiral vaccinations only for those dogs at higher risk. Because this can potentially be a very serious disease, I recommend that all pet owners consult with their local veterinarian to determine if leptospiral vaccination is necessary for their pet.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Have you talked to your vet about it? I would ask them first. I know my vet's have never said anything about it. I would just make sure if you take her to a beach or anything the water is not nasty. I was going to take my dogs to a dog friendly beach once but then I saw how dirty and nasty the water was and we went somewhere else instead.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

My nephew actually was diagnosed with this a year or so ago. He was really sick! The treatment was really hard on his body. The medications made him sicker than the lepto did! He got it swimming in yucky water. The doctor said it was rare, and he didn't see it very often. As sick as it made him, I can imagine how sick a dog could get.
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Lepto is an ugly disease. We had a dog die of it when I was a child. I would not mess around.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

Our vet kind of left it up to us as to whether or not to vaccinate. Since Duke occasionally takes a dip in a lake close by that's frequented by a lot of wildlife, we decided to go ahead with it.

georgie is offline Senior Member

We vaccinate our labs. They hunt & run hunt tests & they are in alot of crappy-looking water. Kate had a reaction once so she is now pre-medicated before she gets her shots.

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

It'a nor just swimming. Rain puddles can harbor lepto.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Do you know if lepto is more common is some places that others? Like climates etc....
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

deidra is offline Senior Member

I think I am now going to ask my vets to give the shot to my dogs. We go to so many different woods to hike that I think it will be safer now after hearing some stories on google. I read that you should contact your wildlife and game center and see if they can tell you. I think also if you have a local visitors center the rangers there should be able to tell you.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nellies mom View Post
    It'a nor just swimming. Rain puddles can harbor lepto.
    You are right, Danie. Actually it's small standing water that can harbor it too. Larger bodies of water may be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    Do you know if lepto is more common is some places that others? Like climates etc....
    I don't know, Pam. Good question. I will have to look into it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast