Weird Neuter Problem - Any Ideas?

Thread: Weird Neuter Problem - Any Ideas?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultWeird Neuter Problem - Any Ideas?

I figured I'd throw this out there and see if anyone has thoughts on it.

My foster was neutered 10 days ago. He healed wonderfully. didn't bother his stitches and the area looked great. I didn't really let him get anything more than walks until day 8 or so (I admit the walks may have been abit long starting day 4).

We removed the stitches today (10 FULL days after surgery). And the incision opened. By the time we got to the vet (we removed the stitches at home, the rescue always does this and it's never been an issue - he was still during the thing so no nicks or pokes or anything) it was pretty much all opened. even he has no idea what happened. he said something with certain medications healing can be delayed but this is just odd.

Any ideas? Potential underlying issue (we will talk to the vet again, we have to go back in 7 days)

Seriously - if anything "rarely" happens after spay or neuter it will happen to me! my last fosters were a headache with their spay as well!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

That is weird! Also with our dogs the stitches never had to be removed they were the dissolving kind. Sorry i'm no help
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

labby is offline Senior Member

Never had it happen with a dog, that I recall, but it happened to me. I had a growth removed from my arm and after 14 days the sutures were removed. Doc thought it looked great. Well that night the thing opened up and it looked like my arm exploded. I couldn't have it restitched without surgery so I just let it heal up. Looks bad, but oh well. The doc figured that my body had a problem with the type of suture material he used and warned me not to have wounds stitched up with that type of suture material again.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

When we had Sophie spayed, the vet said to bring her back in 2 weeks to remove stitches. We went to her office, and she said to wait another week. She said it was partly do to her breed being so active. She said she didn't want to take a chance on the incision opening. Sophie's stitches were in 3 weeks! I am not sure what the vet looked for when we took her in at 2 weeks post surgery, but whatever she saw made her decide to leave them another week. So perhaps 10 days just wasn't long enough.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

I have never had this happen but Gordy licked himself so much after the surgery he opened up the incision. When we took him back to the vet the second time the vet just left the wound open to heal on its own. I thought it would leave a huge scar but you can't even see it any more.

*Laura that would have scared me to death. Too bad about the scar.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous