Ate Innova, switched to Iams, switched back and...

Thread: Ate Innova, switched to Iams, switched back and...

LogansRun is offline Member

DefaultAte Innova, switched to Iams, switched back and...

So Logan is 3. He was raised on Innova. He did well on it. I went away on business for a few weeks and my wife switched his food to Iams. We finished the Iams bag and then I wanted to get him back on Innova. We did, and he had diarrhea for roughly a week straight. I didn't want that to continue, so we stopped with the Innova and returned to Iams. Now he's back to a solid pooping schedule. I found this odd that the Innova just wasn't agreeing with him anymore, even after a week.

Anyone share a similar experience?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

After having changed Bella's food, it took weeks for her system to get use to it and the same principal would apply to your dog. From what I've read, it doesn't matter how long a dog has been on a certain brand, if you change to another brand it will take it awhile for them to get use to it. That is why they say you should always do the change slowly over a period of weeks adding a small amount to the current brand and adding more over time until they can tolerate the new food alone.
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Agree with LuvRgirl. You switched foods incorrectly, the correct way to switch foods is to do as instructed above

That is why they say you should always do the change slowly over a period of weeks adding a small amount to the current brand and adding more over time until they can tolerate the new food alone.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LogansRun is offline Member

i understand how to work new food into a dog's system. i figured that went without saying. a week straight of diarrhea from doing it this way was a little alarming that's all. i can only imagine if we switched cold turkey.

sarah is offline Senior Member

the way you wrote your post is "We finished the Iams bag and then I wanted to get him back on Innova" so sorry but it didn't portray that you understood how to work a food correctly into your dogs system.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

labby is offline Senior Member

Innova is very rich and my dogs have never had solid stools on it.

Laura

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Like Labby said, it's a very rich food - going from Iams to Innova is I would imagine akin to switching from oatmeal for breakfast every day to bacon and eggs. I would also call the company - I've always found them very pleasant to work with and it could be that you got a bad bag of food (either due to manufacturing, or more commonly storage at the distributor). Do you have any leftover? They usually ask if you could send some back with the bag number so they can check.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

Agreed with Sarah, sorry but the way you posted I thought you did the switch back "cold turkey" as you say. Hope the best for you and that you can solve the problem for you to have your dog happy again. :-)
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I am just gunna go with..if it ain't broke..don't fix it.
    Kim