Sore on paw pad. Do I need to see the vet?

Thread: Sore on paw pad. Do I need to see the vet?

jetdog is offline Junior Member

DefaultSore on paw pad. Do I need to see the vet?

I have had my sons dog for the past 10 days as he was out of town for the holidays. Jet is a 1 yr old lab/hound that he adopted from the local shelter about 3 months ago. He is VERY active and eats, sleeps, and breathes to play ball.

Last week we went to a new dog park to play ball. Most of the park was sandy, like the infield of a baseball field. When he got home and I was looking him over for ticks (we also went on a lil hike) he flinched when I was around his front carpal pad (the one above the dew claw). Sure enough he had sores on both of them. I assumed it was from the slipping and sliding on the hard sandy surface at the park. We have not been back.

Those sores have almost healed now and all i did was apply some 3in1 ointment I picked up at the pet store and wrapped in vet-wrap a few times a day.

Last night I noticed him limping. Sure enough he has a pretty big sore on his back metacarpal pad. The only thing I think could have caused this injury is yesterday on our way home from playing at the school he spotted 2 squirrels. Of course he tried going after them and we were on asphalt at the time. I had to use all I had to keep hold of him.

So my questions are: should his pads be this fragile? Should he see a vet? Is there some kind of deficiency that might cause this to keep happening? Any recommendations on treating this in the event he doesn't need to see a vet?

Since I am a newbie here I cant post pictures. I did put one of the sore in my album but I'm not sure those are visible yet either.

Thank you in advance for any help,
    Jets concerned Grandma

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

My Sophie got a cut on her pad on a front paw the other day. We treated it with antibiotic cream and it healed up. When you say the dog has a "sore", what do you mean? Is it a bump? With puss or yucky stuff? Does it seem like an abrasion? Like he might have rubbed it off on pavement?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

It is a round sore like he rubbed it off on the pavement. It is raw but no pus or inflammation. Were you able to see the picture in my album?

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/m...-img-0250.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oops! I tried posting a link to album but I forgot I'm not allowed to do that yet. There is a pic there. It is a round sore like it was rubbed off on pavement. There is no pus or inflammation that I can see. It is obv painful since he is limping a little.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Where are you located? Is the pavement particularly hot or cold? I don't think I would go to a vet just yet. As long as it doesn't look infected, or seems to be getting worse. I would treat it with the 3 in 1 and keep a watch on it.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

We are in northern California where it has been right around 65 degrees or so.

I don't believe the sore in itself is enough to warrant a visit to the vet either. My main concern is why his pads are "weak."

Also, I see a lot of pad care products on the market. I've also read mixed reviews so I'm reluctant to use them. Do any of you use these products on your labs?