Be careful taking your pup to doggie parks...

Thread: Be careful taking your pup to doggie parks...

Moses is offline Member

AngryBe careful taking your pup to doggie parks...

Took Moses to the doggie park Fri, and Sat. He drank out of the community bowl, which of course I got him away from it, but he had already slurped some water down. Had to go to the vet today...He woke me up with diarrhea.... poor baby was so humiliated. He has Giardia from the water So he is on antibiotics and probiotics. All it took was just a quick slurp. The water looked clean, but soon as he did it something told me it was not going to have a good out come. He isn't dehydrated yet, but you know how fast it can happen, so we are keeping a VERY close eye on him. I won't take him back to a doggie park EVER.

Do not take your pups to doggie parks.....it can really cause problems....

Here is a pic of him at the vet....poor baby
    Last edited by Moses; 01-08-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    .....And she called his name Moses: and she said, Because I drew him out of the water. Exodus 2:10

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Poor Moses! I know lots of people take their dogs to dog parks and have not had any issues. We don't have them here, so I never have. It does seem like there could be lots of sickness that could come from a park though. I don't blame you for not wanting to chance going back!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Moses is offline Member

yes bless his heart he is miserable running in and out. He woke me up this morning barking and squirting EVERYWHERE, and just looked so humiliated. ohhhhh the mess. Gagged the entire time until it was cleaned up and of course then disinfected. Called the vet immediately and was able to be seen, although it was a very expensive visit-- I don't care though, the little guy was miserable. Vet said it didn't bother our Cocker because he is older. I have never taken my dogs to a doggie park, we always had the country to play in, but thought it would be cool to let them play with other dogs (our babies are very social lol). I will never do it again though. We will just stick to private visits with folks we know-- (at least when concerning a pup). He had so much fun, but he isn't having fun now and neither are we..... Bless his heart it hits him all at once and he tucks that tail and flies to the door....we have managed to get him out all but twice he didn't make it. Comes out with so much force it kind of scares him. Poor baby. Had to go out 4 times while we were talking to the vet and he was getting tested and waiting on the fecal samples to be done. He walks with his head down today. I really don't like to see that. So sad. He is totally humiliated and ashamed....Hoping he is over the diarrhea by Sat, as he is scheduled for shots...
    .....And she called his name Moses: and she said, Because I drew him out of the water. Exodus 2:10

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Sorry poor Moses isn't doing so well
    I take my dog to the DP 4-5 times/wk and consider the water to be the least of the risks That said, I do change out the water in the community bowl constantly and I didn't start taking him until he was a fair bit older. For us, the benefits have outweighed the risks thus far, but obviously it's not for everyone
    Hope your pup is feeling better soon!

Moses is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by dek View Post
    Sorry poor Moses isn't doing so well
    I take my dog to the DP 4-5 times/wk and consider the water to be the least of the risks That said, I do change out the water in the community bowl constantly and I didn't start taking him until he was a fair bit older. For us, the benefits have outweighed the risks thus far, but obviously it's not for everyone
    Hope your pup is feeling better soon!
    Yes is was a total let down for the both of us. We were sooooo excited that they put the doggie park in....they have a fresh water pump, but it was turned off. (I am assuming for winter). At any rate, we can take Copper (our cocker) back to play, but no way is Moses going back. Not while he is a pup. Not having this happen again.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Did the vet say when you should start to see an improvement in the diarreah diarhea diahrea diahrrea (how the heck do you spell it any way?)
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Our doggie park includes a river for swimming and 100's of acres, if I stopped taking Sammi she might divorce me!!
    Here's Sammi's play ground 1000 Acres Park on the Sandy River Delta

Moses is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    Our doggie park includes a river for swimming and 100's of acres, if I stopped taking Sammi she might divorce me!!
    Here's Sammi's play ground 1000 Acres Park on the Sandy River Delta
    WOW that is beautiful!!!!!! What a GREAT place!