Purina Pro Plan for Large Breed & Puppy's
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Purina Pro Plan for Large Breed & Puppy's

michaelbb is offline Member

DefaultPurina Pro Plan for Large Breed & Puppy's

We were told by the breeder that the Purina Pro Plan for large breeds / puppy "Chicken" not Chicken & Rice was what they recommended and we went with that. The Vet says there healthy and look great. However I'm not sure why I did not notice this before but the bag says maturity of 50lbs, there both 30lbs as of the vet visit. Personally I do not see a reason for switching now, but at the same point I am concerned.

Any and all opinion's welcomed.

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

If the vet likes their weight and it is what the breeder recommended I would stay with the food. If you are really worried about it I would contact your breeder
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Honestly, those large breed/small breed formulas are a scam. I'd go with Pro Plan's puppy formula. At 30 pounds, I'm guessing your pups are somewhere around 3 months old. You can start switching them to adult food at 6 months (I started Caleb's switch just before he was 6 months because that's when I had to buy a new bag of food).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you both, The vet does not see a problem with it since they have been on it for a while now , but said you could switch but do it gradually.

As for the Large breed/small breed being a scam , do you "Micksmom" have any information to back that up?

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Large breed formula was designed when folks started thinking that large breed puppies needed different nutrition than small breed puppies. Which is true. That is why many of us who have labs, and have raised a number of puppies, have switched to adult at about 4 months, IF we ever put the pup on puppy food at all. If you read the labels, protein/fat etc are all about the exact same on large breed puppy food as it is with the comparable brand regular adult food. That's the scam. Honestly, if the dog is doing well on the Pro Plan, put him on the ALS Chicken/Rice now and be done with it.

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbb View Post
    Thank you both, The vet does not see a problem with it since they have been on it for a while now , but said you could switch but do it gradually.

As for the Large breed/small breed being a scam , do you "Micksmom" have any information to back that up?
    It really depends on the brand of dog food whether or not there is any significant difference between Large Breed or Small Breed. We use Blue Buffalo and if you look at the independent reviews of their various recipes you'll see there IS a difference.

I think the 'scam' is using a dog food brand that doesn't have a difference between Large and Small breed recipes but tries to market their dog food like there was.

labby is offline Senior Member

Whatever you do, DO NOT use the Shredded Blend formula of ProPlan. It's made with soy which besides mimicking estrogen in the body, is highly allergenic to most dogs. And I agree that LB puppy and adult foods are a marketing ploy. Think about it, do dogs in the wild eat differently than the adults?

Laura

ALS ? Would switching over from just the chicken to chicken & rice throw them off or should it be slowly changed over?

As for the Buffalo Blue, we've seen it in the local pet smart, but I'll be honest the bags have allot dust on them telling me they have been sitting there a while

And in regards to shredded, NO way I was already advised to stay far far away from that.

As always thanks to all who reply

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

Most of the Blue buffalo bags I've seen have about a one year expiration date on them. I'd still buy the bags with 9 months left but any longer than that I'd ask the store what's up with their old inventory.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbb View Post
    ALS ? Would switching over from just the chicken to chicken & rice throw them off or should it be slowly changed over?

As for the Buffalo Blue, we've seen it in the local pet smart, but I'll be honest the bags have allot dust on them telling me they have been sitting there a while

And in regards to shredded, NO way I was already advised to stay far far away from that.

As always thanks to all who reply
    ALS = All Life Stages

Bauer started on adult food (Pro Plan Chicken and Rice for ALS) when he was about 4 or 5 months old. Whatever you decide, I would introduce it slowly.

Good luck!
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast