Feeding Dry and Wet Food Together---Anyone here do it?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeding Dry and Wet Food Together---Anyone here do it?

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultFeeding Dry and Wet Food Together---Anyone here do it?

I know some people that put a little canned wet dog food on top of the dry kibble for their dogs. I feed my Lab dry kibble only. ( Occasionally she'll get plain chicken, vegetables, eggs, or steak, in small amounts as a special treat. ) Just wondering if any of you add wet (canned) food to your dog's dry kibble?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Yes, I do.
    I add a spoonful of 95% meat canned food (either Wellness or EVO, sometimes Fromm) to my girls' food, along with water and green beans at dinner.
    Sometimes they get aggs, yogurt or fruit also.
    They eat very well....LOL

So if you add all that to the kibble, do you reduce the amount of kibble also? ( If for instance my Lab gets a cup and a half dry kibble at each meal, and I wanted to add some canned food to it, would I give her maybe only a cup dry kibble then?) Also, do you cook the green beans or are they raw? Your dogs do eat very well!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

I have used green beans with dry kibble when Nellie was on a diet. I am now putting some canned food in with Bailey's kibble because he is undergoing chemotherapy and won't eat the dry kibble.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by bebopalula View Post
    So if you add all that to the kibble, do you reduce the amount of kibble also? ( If for instance my Lab gets a cup and a half dry kibble at each meal, and I wanted to add some canned food to it, would I give her maybe only a cup dry kibble then?) Also, do you cook the green beans or are they raw? Your dogs do eat very well!
    Yes, I keep the kibble lower than it could be because of the other things that I add.
    Both girls get 3/4 cup of kibble in the morning and 3/4 cup at dinner. This leaves me room to add in other things like the canned food, treats and meats and eggs.
    I buy canned no salt green beans for the girls. They each get 1/2 can at dinner time.
    I am also a rotation feeder so my girls get different kibble every day for each meal. They get one kind in the morning and a different kind for dinner. All the foods I feed are grain free with proteins between 25-35%.

Aha. Sounds like your dogs have it pretty good at your house! My girl does too. But I have been thinking about switching up her food so she isn't always eating the same thing. That's why I'm asking all these questions. I have been feeding her Wellness Core ( dry ) for a few years now ( She's 5 years old.) javasmom, if you don't mind me asking, what are the other foods you rotate? I am not worried about Breezy, my lab, liking another food. She likes EVERYTHING and will eat just about everything. Unfortunately sometimes it's not always something I want her to eat----like rabbit poop!

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I feed TOTW, and they have canned food to match each formula. I sometimes mix some canned with the kibble. Sophie likes a little water on her kibble. So I put water, sometimes canned food, or eggs, cheese, tuna, veggies like green beans, peas, carrots, potatoes, no corn or grains.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Quote Originally Posted by bebopalula View Post
    Aha. Sounds like your dogs have it pretty good at your house! My girl does too. But I have been thinking about switching up her food so she isn't always eating the same thing. That's why I'm asking all these questions. I have been feeding her Wellness Core ( dry ) for a few years now ( She's 5 years old.) javasmom, if you don't mind me asking, what are the other foods you rotate? I am not worried about Breezy, my lab, liking another food. She likes EVERYTHING and will eat just about everything. Unfortunately sometimes it's not always something I want her to eat----like rabbit poop!
    Right now in my rotation I feed: TOTW Pacific Stream, TOTW Sierra Mountain, Fromm Surf & Turf, Fromm Beef Frittata, Nature's Variety Instinct Duck & Turkey Meal and I also have a bag of Now! Grain free and Go! Grain free to add in at some point for a tryout. All the foods I feed are grain free.
    I forgot to mention that my girls are also big cheese fans as well..so they do get cheese (and a good treat for them is Cheerios!!)

If I had to pick just one to recommend trying it would be Fromm Surf & Turf. It is by far the food that I would feed exclusively if I had to pick just one, although my girls doing incredible on all the foods in the rotation. I just like Fromm S & T because of the variety of proteins and the protein level (32%)is perfect for active labs. Not too high, not too low. Plus, it is a small, family owned company that produces all it's own food and it has exceptional customer service.

Plus...it smells REALLY REALLY good. lol

Ask any questions you have..I'll be more than happy to answer them!

As well as my girls eat, Java still can't get enough horse poop. Moka steers clear of poop of any kind.
    Last edited by javasmom; 01-06-2012 at 07:02 PM.

deidra is offline Senior Member

They get canned dog food a few times a month but it is not a daily thing. They do get green beans though as a filler.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I don't measure out exact level cups of food. How much I feed my dogs is gained by experience over the years I have had them. But they all get warm water mixed with their kibble, and then a spoon of wet mixed in to make a gravy. I don't take out 1/4 cup of kibble because I add extra stuff. One table spoon of wet isn't going to amount to much.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast