Sick Puppy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick Puppy?

devonski11 is offline Junior Member

DefaultSick Puppy?

Frankie is going on 9 weeks and has been living with us for almost a week. She went to the vet yesterday for a check up and everything went great. But today she had diarrhea and tonight is was more watery. When I put her in her bed she threw up and I'm worried she could be sick. We've been mixing the food her breeder gave us with our own and the breeder was giving her well water so she told us to give her bottled water for a couple of days. She's been drinking regular water for a couple days now, but today was the first day her old food wasn't mixed with the dog food we have. She hasn't been eating any plants or anything off the ground. I always take it out of her mouth if she tries. Her mood is still happy and playful. We're feeding her Canidae for overweight dogs because of our other dog. I thought it was for all stages until today when I looked it up. That was my mistake. Tomorrow I'm planning on buying a bag of dog food just for her. Should I call the vet tomorrow to see what he says or wait a day or two and see if she gets better?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Okay, you pup is 9 weeks old. Diarhea and vomiting is serious at that age until a vet tells you its not. They can dehydrate so quickly.

You have a puppy, a baby. Low fat or weight control food is absolulely the wrong thing to be feeding that dog. He has a lot of growing to do and weight control whould not be your primary concern right now. Unless the dog is not gaining weight.

I think you are trying to switch the dog's food a little early and a little too fast for such a young dog. Personally, I would get it back on the foood the breeder had her on for a few more weeks before slowly transitioning to the food of you choice.

Let us know how the pup is doing, and I would have him back to the vet.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Agree with Ed. Changing food even for an adult dog takes more like 3 weeks - not one week. And I would simply not make a change from the breeder's food for several months unless you just don't respect your breeder or they were feeding something like Ol' Roy.

And - not that you asked - but overweight dog foods are mostly a gimmick. You can achieve the same result by cutting back on a regular formula and adding healthy filler of your own - like green beans. I recently needed to get Blaise to drop a few pounds and I just reduced his intake of regular food.

On the symptoms your puppy is exhibiting I would absolutely call the vet. She's too young to wait it out. She could have picked up something at the vet (which is why I always tell people to keep their puppy in their arms and allow no contact with surfaces in the waiting room).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

i completely agree with the above.

- stick to food breeder was feeding for at least a month or two unless they were clueless on labs and breeding
    - call the vet, puppies dehydrate quickly so you need to be more cautious/proactive
    - low cal/diet food is not appropriate for a puppy
    - diet food is a gimmick, pick a food lower in kcals but with good ingredients. feed less, exercise more.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by devonski11 View Post
    Frankie is going on 9 weeks and has been living with us for almost a week. She went to the vet yesterday for a check up and everything went great. <snip>
    While the food you're feeding may be an issue I have to wonder at the timing of the symptoms showing up so quickly after the Vet visit. Did the Vet give Frankie shots/de-worming meds or anything else that could easily cause these same symptoms of diarrhea and vomiting?

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

You have gotten great advice from everyone.. I would get your pup back on what the breeder was feeding. I would call my vet.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

georgie is offline Senior Member

I would take the puppy back to the vet. Diarrhea & vomiting can dehydrate a puppy very quickly. Puppies need a puppy formula, not adult food. Please let us know how your puppy is doing.

devonski11 is offline Junior Member

When she went to the vet she got micro chipped and got a fecal exam. The fecal exam came back negative. My mom doesn't want me to take her to the vet unless it keeps happening today. I went out and bought her the same food the breeder had her on and I've been giving her water all day. She eats and drinks normally. She hasn't thrown up today either. The vet gave us advantage multi to put on her for fleas and worms. My dad thinks she is having a bad reaction to that so we're going to stop using it. So far she is doing good today. Also, please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

You may need to scrub her and bathe her and get that advantage off of her. Putting her back on her original food is a step in the right direction. Watch her stool. Even if she isn't throwing up, if she continues to have diarrhea, it is serious in a puppy.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by devonski11 View Post
    When she went to the vet she got micro chipped and got a fecal exam. The fecal exam came back negative. My mom doesn't want me to take her to the vet unless it keeps happening today. I went out and bought her the same food the breeder had her on and I've been giving her water all day. She eats and drinks normally. She hasn't thrown up today either. The vet gave us advantage multi to put on her for fleas and worms. My dad thinks she is having a bad reaction to that so we're going to stop using it. So far she is doing good today. Also, please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong
    It's 3:30 in the afternoon out there, so you are well into "today" - is she better or not? No vomitting or diarreah so far?

BTW - how old are you? I like to know who the kids are on the board.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast